no head on my Belgian Trippel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twd000

Reaction score
I used the extract recipe from Brewing Classic Styles
carbed to 3 Volumes (5 oz table sugar at room temp)
conditioned for 16 days at room temp
it is carbonated, but no head formation or retention
flavor is fine - will benefit from a few more weeks conditioning, but it's "done"

BJCP style calls for dense, rocky head with lacing, and most examples I remember are fairly heady

so what gives?

3 thoughts...

1. Not carbed long enough at a high enough temp. (That is 70 F, not room temp. Bigger beers take longer to carb.)

2. You did not pour the last portion of the bottle hard enough...

3. At some point, some of you equipment went through the dishwasher. Dishwasher detergent = no head.

my room temp is 76 F right now (air conditioning on for the season)

I will let it carb for another couple weeks

no dishwasher, but would StarSan residue cause the same problems? I have had large heads on some of my other beers using the same equipment

my room temp is 76 F right now (air conditioning on for the season)

I will let it carb for another couple weeks

no dishwasher, but would StarSan residue cause the same problems? I have had large heads on some of my other beers using the same equipment

I am going to go with "Is not done carbing." at least for now. Big beers just take longer...as for star san, no it will not destroy the head, that I know of.

a few other common things that will

- an unneeded protein rest when doing AG held for a long time.
- oil

I am sure there may be more...

I have a golden Tripel that is at 10.7 ABV. It has been in bottles for two and a half weeks. It is barely starting to show some kind of carbonation. I think mine is going to take 2 months to carb up to where I want it.

same here... i'm just over 3 weeks on my tripel (9.5%) and its barely starting to carb... patience!

Back