No head on beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny013

Reaction score
I brewed an Irish Red and got it all bottled, no problems. It been in the bottle for 2 weeks and when I pour it there is no head at all. Decent carbonation, could use a little more aging though. Even if I pour it straight down the middle of the glass all I get is a few bubbles on the surface that dissapate almost instantly. My glasses are clean, too.

I did have some bottle in oxyclean to get rid of labels, could this be the problem? I'm sure I rinsed them well, and it was only half the bottles.

Any ideas/theories? Thanks!

Wash them by hand with a little bit of soap, and rinse very well. It hasn't had any effect on any of my other beers or beers I buy.

how long are the bottles being chilled?

chill for 3 days so the beer can absorb the CO2, then try pouring

I noticed a big difference in carbonation in my stout from the two week point to now (almost 4weeks). You might see some improvement the longer it sits.

Are you using flip tops bottles? I did a kolsch and more than half didn't have much carbination. Same bubbles, even when i poured it in fast. I beleive my problem on that batch was i didn't stir the priming sugar when i added it. I forgot, and i don't think i set the flip tops well. Every other batch I did was with bottle caps and they were great..Give it some more time. Now that i think about it, as time went by i think they got a little better. By then they were all gone..

Sounds great. Should I be worried at all about oxyclean residue in the bottles and now in my beer?

Edit - I'm capping the bottles.

Don't sweat it. Oxyclean isn't dangerous, according to the material safety data sheet. Besides, beer is resilient. There's very little that will ruin it completely - you have to throw more at it than a little residue.

And oxyclean rinses pretty well....I'd only worry if granuales of the stuff that didn't dissolve made it into my beer.

Back