No gravity change after 72hrs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seb290

Reaction score
Hi guys, my first all grain batch is not fermenting. I had a OG of 1064 after boil and my latest check up at 72 hours still 1.064. It's a 6GL batch pitched 2 pack of US-05 rehydrated, in good condition. My temp room is 66F, I never saw Krausen or bubble from my blowoff tube.

We had a problem at the mash. We have a 5GL mash tun and the recipe was 6.5kg of grains. We didn't have enough space for the 3liters/1kg grains. Perhaps our mash temp have been always the same during 75 min 155F. Is it possible to reach a 1.064 OG without fermentable sugar in the wort?

Thanks for the answer! We want this to work!

Did the rehydrated yeast get frothy?

It depends what you use to measure gravity whether you can reach 1.064 without fermentable sugar. If your temp was between 145 and 160, you will have fermentable sugars.

What was the wort temperature when you pitched the yeast?

Rehydrating the yeast. What was the water temperature.

80+/-6F is recommended.

If there is no fermentation going on (it may yet start but 72 hours is odd to say the least) the yeast died.

If the yeast was healthy (frothy about 30mins after you rehydrated), you mashed at 155F (how much water did you end up using?), you pitched at 71F and the room temp is 66F, then there is no reason the yeast wouldn't have started. All I can think of is that something has killed the yeast. Could there be some bleach or other harsh chemical in there?

Did you aerate/oxygenate? Even if you didn't, there should still be signs of fermentation.

Can you check your thermometer? If it's broken, and you mashed 10F higher than you think, you wouldn't have got any conversion (only extracted starch).

If you have another packet of US05, go ahead and pitch it. It can't hurt anything.

rehydrated at +- 80F. The mash tun was to small to contain 16lbs of grain and 5GL of water...we had between 3 or 4 GL during the mash in. after fly sparge at 170F and no bleach inside carboy. ben wash with PBW and starsan

not certain of this one...I think with was kind of frothy but How much it was suppose to

If your yeast is healthy, it will froth quite a bit - something like double the original volume - in about 30mins (sort of like a krausen). If this didn't happen, you might have had broken yeasties. They might have been allowed to get too hot sometime during transport.

How long did you hydrate for?

Pitch some more yeast. Preferably from a different homebrew store if that's an option (just in case their whole batch is dead).

Back