No grain grinder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not really. Your best bet is to find a local homebrew store (LHBS). They usually have grain mills. It also depends on how much grain you have. Are you doing all grain or partial mash?

In the unlikely event that you are in the Cleveland area, I'd be happy for you to drop by and use my mill.

i have not a gain grinder, what is another way to crush my grains and barley without one.

thanks tom

I'd say fix your "R" key... but it works on G"R"inder... go figure.

I've rolled out some adjunct grains in a pinch with a rolling pin. A few pulses on a food processor will probably work but be careful.

Your best advice received was to find a LHBS to grind it for you.

I have a mill, so it is no problem. However, I've been wondering about options for those who don't have access to one. I did the rolling pin thing many years ago and it was a pain (and messy). I've been wondering just how quickly whole grains will soften when water is added. What I'm thinking is the specialty grains could be put in a small pot and just enough water added to cover the grains. Ideally only enough water is added so the grains soak it up and then after X min? (5-15 min?) the grains will have softened enough so a rolling pin can easily crush them. Any excess water could go right into the boil pot.

Latest posts

Back