No fizz! Mileston wheat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McTavish

Reaction score
Hi all,

Have been brewing different lagers and wheat beers without any problem, pretty basic set up using kits and coopers carbonation drops.

Have just opened a few bottles of my recent kit the Milestone raspberry wheat beer, and they are all flat!

I used coopers carbonation drops 2 per pint bottle (my preferred carbonation level in my previous brews)

Primary was fine, bottled after 2.5weeks, sat in my garage (average of about 16 degrees Celsius) for 5weeks in bottles but no carbonation!

Could my garage be too cold? Can I save it? Taste is fine it's just the lack of fizz that's ruining things!!

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Temperature could be an issue. But you could try adding a couple of grains of dry yeast to each bottle and re-cap them. I'm assuming you used enough drops. I'm not really familiar with the priming rate for the drops.

I'm going to say temperature is your issue. Some areas of my house get to about 16°C at night so I tend to keep my bottles boxed and on a towel. Last wheat I did (primed with table sugar), I allowed to carbonate at about 18-19°C.

I'd find a spot in the house to let them carbonate, if you can.

16 deg C should be fine to allow for carbonation but it just might take longer depending on the strain. Lower temps will take longer for the yeast to consume the priming sugars and turd out the Co2, and depending on the yeast strain that temp could be pretty low. You could try raising temp, if you can. Or finding a warmer place to store it for another week. That said another week at 16 C might be all it needs. I wouldn't do anything yet. Is there absolutely no carbonation or just not the level you had hoped for?

There's no carbonation at all! Rather annoying! I have a ferm fridge so I'll try putting it in there to raise temp. Fingers crossed

Back