no fermentation - day after

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoney66

Reaction score
First post, been lurking for a while.
This is my 4th brew.

I might be jumping the gun, but have never seen 0 activity the day after brewing.

Received Austin Homebrew Oatmeal Stout extract kit on Friday w/ White Labs British Ale 005.
Noticed that the ice packet wasn't cold at all, and the yeast seemed about room temp. So I just left the yeast out since I'm brewing on Saturday.

I had a great brewday.
Cleaning and sanitation went smoothly.
Followed instructions perfectly... great instructions.
First time steeping with a massive amount of grains. Steeped in 2 1/2 gal of water for 15min.
Added another 3 gallons of hot water, added extract, brought up to a boil, added hops, boiled for 60min.
Cooled w/ immersion chiller to 80 degrees as specified by instructions.
Drained into carboy and aerated by shaking the crap out of it.

Now this is my first time using liquid yeast, so all I did was shake it up and dump it.
Put a airlock w/ blowoff tube, and was done.

Finished up about 4:00 yesterday, this morning (10:00) - no activity at all.
So - am I being paranoid or is something wrong?

thanks,
~larry

thanks - also forgot to mention i added the supplied "yeast fuel" tablet at the end of the boil.

paranoid - man i hope so :(

Definitely! Without a starter, it may take three days to get going, depending on how fresh the yeast was and how warm your wort was. Try to not worry!

Will do - thanks again guys.

Such great/quick responses for a newb post - great community!!

RDWHAHB. a motto to live by. Welcome to this forum, you'll find tons of awesome information in here, and perhaps even make some friends... or enemies when you find out that you need to all grain or to ten gallon batches and spend money on new equipment.

Great post.. I was about to ask the same thing :mug: I just made a cream ale and it to was the first time useing a liqiud east. I did the same thing as you
stoney66.

AndrwHock,

What does RDWHAHB mean? Sorry to ask I'm just a newb:confused:

my last White labs took 34 hrs to start any signs (it was a amber ale). I wondered too but alls good now. :)

My first brew took almost 36 hours to start fermenting.... I think the wort was too warm when I pitched the yeast. The beer turned out excellent.

If you don't see any fermentation after 72 hours, you might wanna buy some dry yeast, rehydrate, and pitch again.

I have a similar issue. Within the first 15 hours, I saw good bubbling in the air lock. Only a day or so later, no bubbling at all. Bad yeast maybe? The temperature is right around 68.

elundgren said:
I have a similar issue. Within the first 15 hours, I saw good bubbling in the air lock. Only a day or so later, no bubbling at all. Bad yeast maybe? The temperature is right around 68.

Remember, airlock activity (or the lack of) is not an accurate indicator of fermentation progress. Check the specific gravity with a hydrometer. Don't even bother counting and timing airlock bubbles. Fermentation could be done, it could be stalled, or there could be so many co2 bubbles on the bell part of the airlock that it can't lift itself up and down...

elundgren said:

Check to make sure that you have no leaks.

Back