No fermentation after 6 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parrothead600

Reaction score
Here's what I have done:
I bought 5 gallons of unpasturized, no preservative cider from the cider mill.
Took it home & poured it all into my fermenting bucket & added 5 crushed campden tablets, 4 tsp yeast nutrient, 2 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme and put the lid/airlock on and let it sit in the basement @ 61*F.
After 24 hrs I sprinkled 1 packet of Safale S-04 dry yeast to the surface & reinstalled the lid/airlock.
Day 5 with no airlock activity, I moved the bucket upstairs where the temp is 63*-68*F
It has been 6 days now & I have not seen any airlock activity. I took a hyrometer reading & it is still @ 1.050 (same as it started at last sunday)

Any of the cider that I have done previously has started showing airlock activity within 3 days of pitching the yeast. Any suggestions?

Here's what I have done:
I bought 5 gallons of unpasturized, no preservative cider from the cider mill.
Took it home & poured it all into my fermenting bucket & added 5 crushed campden tablets, 4 tsp yeast nutrient, 2 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme and put the lid/airlock on and let it sit in the basement @ 61*F.
After 24 hrs I sprinkled 1 packet of Safale S-04 dry yeast to the surface & reinstalled the lid/airlock.
Day 5 with no airlock activity, I moved the bucket upstairs where the temp is 63*-68*F
It has been 6 days now & I have not seen any airlock activity. I took a hyrometer reading & it is still @ 1.050 (same as it started at last sunday)

Any of the cider that I have done previously has started showing airlock activity within 3 days of pitching the yeast. Any suggestions?

Try to get it (and keep it) at close to 70 degrees if you can. Stir it well, and add fresh yeast. You can stir it up to three times per day to help it out.

I stirred it yesterday 7 still have no airlock activity, so I'll get another packet of yeast & pitch it tonight.
Did I kill the yeast by pitching it too soon? How much time should I allow after the campden tablets are added until I pitch the yeast?

Back