No fermentation after 5 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

songstre

Reaction score
I brewed the following recipe on Sun 7/25/2010. I pitched a bit warm as it is summer and very difficult to get the temp down using my wort chiller because the water is just not as cold as other times of the year. I'm thinking that's where I went wrong, but I can't believe I actually killed all the yeast as the temp was not hot, just warm (maybe 85). This is the second time this summer that fermentation took so long (my last batch took about 3 - 4 days to start). Other times of the year I don't have this problem. I started the primary in my basement as it's cooler down there, maybe 66 - 68. I brought it up though as nothing was happening. Now it's in my living room and shows no signs. I have a friend picking up some more yeast for me.

The other thing I thought may have gone wrong is when the ingredients were delivered, my daughter just pulled them into the garage. Well, it was probably upwards of 130 degrees in there. Not sure how long the box was in there, but that can't be good. Any advice? My OG was about 1.060 and the whole brewing process seemed to go really well. This is probably my 20th batch, so I'm no novice.

Schneider Weisse
Weizen/Weissbier

Type: Partial Mash
Date: 7/25/2010
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Robert Butler
Boil Size: 6.00 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (6+gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (5 Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 0.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 51.61 %
5.50 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 47.31 %
0.13 lb Carafa II (412.0 SRM) Grain 1.08 %
0.50 oz Magnum [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 16.6 IBU
1.00 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.60 %] (15 min) Hops 7.6 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP300) Yeast-Wheat

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.062 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.060 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.05 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 6.52 %
Bitterness: 24.2 IBU Calories: 266 cal/pint
Est Color: 9.5 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 11.63 lb
Sparge Water: 4.01 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 14.53 qt of water at 162.5 F 151.0 F

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Pressure/Weight: 3.8 oz Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 60.0 F Age for: 28.0 days
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F

Notes

130F definately isn't good for yeast, however they are recently proving to me they are pretty resilient fellers, I would wait another 2 days and then pitch new stuff.

I know other will suggest checking your gravity. I would check it then let it sit another week and check it again. Maybe consider dropping in some more yeast.

I have the same issue with cooling. I ended up doing a ice bath and immersion chiller (tap water is not cold enough in summer) and even use a sanitized frozen water jug. My last two (well first two). had very little to no action, but i checked my gravity and turns out they did their thing. I pitched my yeast a little on the warm side as well.

Did you use a starter? Especially important if yeast was subject to "garage temperature abuse".

You said "it shows no signs"... is that as measured with a hydrometer or based on bubbles in the airlock?

As others have said, to really know what's going on, you need to measure.

Among other things, if your fermenter has the slightest air leak, you may not see any airlock activity and all is fine.

Revvy may be along soon to give you the long version, but the short version is; you need to measure in order to determine your next steps.

I have not checked with hydrometer, but I can simply smell that it has done nothing. I've been away for the weekend, but I'll peek in on it when I get home. I have a friend getting new yeast. Thanks for all your input. I think I'm going to avoid summer brewing from now on. I'll just make sure I'm stocked up for the summer by June!

I have not checked with hydrometer, but I can simply smell that it has done nothing. I've been away for the weekend, but I'll peek in on it when I get home. I have a friend getting new yeast. Thanks for all your input. I think I'm going to avoid summer brewing from now on. I'll just make sure I'm stocked up for the summer by June!

Take a hydrometer reading, don't go by your nose. I've never heard of anybody who thinks they can smell fermentation.....

The only way to truly know what is going on in your fermenter is with your hydrometer. Like I said here in my blog, which I encourage you to read, Think evaluation before action you sure as HELL wouldn't want a doctor to start cutting on you unless he used the proper diagnostic instuments like x-rays first, right? You wouldn't want him to just take a look in your eyes briefly and say "I'm cutting into your chest first thing in the morning." You would want them to use the right diagnostic tools before the slice and dice, right? You'd cry malpractice, I would hope, if they didn't say they were sending you for an MRI and other things before going in....

Doing anything like pitching more yeast without using the ONE TOOL that can tell you what's REALLY going on, is tantamount to the same thing.

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to use my nose. I broke my hydrometer this weekend brewing a batch of stout. I'm really hoping there is nothing toxic inside the hydrometer with all those little ball bearings and what not in the bottom. It was inside my wort thief, so I'm less worried about particles and glass, and more worried about toxicity. You know how you learn something new every time you brew? Well...

Back