No cloth bags for my hops...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadhintz

Reaction score
When I brewed my most recent Oatmeal Stout on Saturday morning (1/30/10), I didn't have steeping bags for the hops. After the boil and cooling, when I poured the wort into the primary, it seemed as though a lot of the hops followed along. Will this affect the taste or fermentation process at all? I don't have a secondary as of right now, but would it help to separate the wort from the hops if that is necessary? Any advice would be appreciated!

happy brewing

It won't harm the beer. If you give it long enough in the primary all of that stuff will settle out to form the trub. Just rack off carefully to your bottling bucket in about 3 weeks. A cold crash would help settle it out too, but even that isn't required.

You'll be fine. RDWHAHB.

Just give it enough time in the primary (3-4 weeks) and everything will settle out to the bottom. Then just try not to disturb it when you transfer to your bottling bucket. I've dumped everything into the fermenter plenty of times.

Pellet hops? No problem - I've never used a bag for hops unless they are whole fresh hops. Just don't toss the carboy around shaking things up.

I never use bags and I don't have a problem, just be careful as to not suck any of it in when bottling and you will be perfectly fine.:mug:

I'm probably going to buy reusable hop and grain bags. Just tired of pouring the wort through a colander and strainer and having to empty them repeatedly mid-pour.

I use the large tea balls my lhbs sells. They are stainless. They hold about a 1/2 ounce of expanded pellet hops. I use a couple of them they can be cleaned in dishwasher.

I did my first IIPA with dry hops in the carboy and I will never ever again fret if I bring some with me from a boil.

I swear that thing is looks like an aquarium there is so much of a "gravel base"

I'll just take more care when I rack it this weekend.

Makes it better in my experience. Heard it works as yeast food, but don't know how much truth that holds.

Is there any need to crumble to hop pellets, if you're not using a bag? I assume that the 60 minutes boil time will dissolve anything, but what about the final aroma hops?

Back