No Change in Gravity after adding Brett

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrdauber64

Reaction score
Hi,

I added a vial of Brett B and the dregs of a bottle of BRUX(brewed by Russian River and Sierra Nevada) to a Westy 12 clone that stopped at 1.016(about 11% ABV). I did this back in July when I transferred it to secondary. It had been stable for about a month when I transferred it. I just checked the Gravity expecting that the Brett would have done something by now but the Gravity never changed. I'm hoping to bottle soon, would it be safe to bottle? If not, how can I "reactivate" the Brett so that it ferments and I can bottle. I'm just worried that it will start fermenting again after I bottle and I will end up with bottle bombs.

Thanks for the help!

Definitely would hold off on bottling. That gravity is VERY high. Is there even any discernible Brett character in the beer yet? Brett doesn't necessarily need many sugars to produce flavor compounds, but I would certainly think that the gravity would decrease somewhat from 1.016. If you can, rows the carboy little bit and put it in a slightly warmer area. Check in 2 to 4 weeks to see if gravity changes at all. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back