No carbonation!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timschram

Reaction score
My brother and I made an oatmeal stout a few months back. Bottled it three weeks ago. When we opened it after three weeks, little to no carbonation. I'm pretty sure we used 4 oz of priming sugar for a 5 gallon batch. Should we just give it more time or is this batch SOL??

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I use 6oz(3/4 a cup) of priming sugar boiled in 1 cup water. Add that to the bottom of the bottling bucket and rack ontop. And leave it 3 weeks in the bottles. Never had any issues. I would just give it more time. Also how long was it kept cold before you drank it? Give it 24-48 hours in the fridge before drinking.

Sent from my iPhone

Give it more time and see if you get some more carbonation. If that doesn't work then just drink it as is.

Yeah just give it more time. What temperature are the bottles at? If you can warm them up into the mid to high 70s F that would help. Maybe swirl the yeast around a little bit.

Time in the fridge isn't going to make too much of difference in my opinion.

Also, 4 oz of corn sugar in 5 gallons will get you about 2.2 volumes of CO2 which should be pretty perfect for an oatmeal stout.

The bottles conditioned in an unfinished basement that is consistently at about 65 degrees Fahrenheit.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yeah, at 65 it might take a little while longer. If you can warm them up that would make it go faster for sure.

Agreed that at 65 degrees it might just be that they need a little longer. I have had a few that took longer than 3 weeks with about 70 degrees conditioning temperatures.

Back