No carbonation in bottle after 3 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RavenChief

Reaction score
I am new to home brewing. So far I have brewed up 6 batches using Muntons Gold beer malt kits. Anyway, up till this last batch I had no problems and my beer turned out great! This last time however I ran into trouble. My fermentation was basicly normal and was completed in about 7 days. However, I used a diferent yeast this time. The yeast I pitched was Danstar Nottingham. Like I said the fermentation was about the same as I had previously observed with other dry yeast. The Danstar left a nice solid cake on the bottom of the bucket and my beer is nice and clear. I primed my beer bottles with 1/2 tsp of dextrose sugar and waited two weeks for to carbonation magic to happen. Trouble is when I poured my beer it was flat.... It seems to have the same alcohol as usual but no bubbles :(
I am wondering if the yeast dropped so compleatly out of suspension that there was nothing left going into the bottles to eat the priming sugar?

Any thoughts?

1/2 teaspoon of sugar seems like very little to me. I don't measure by the bottle (since I add 4 ounces of sugar to the whole batch) but I would think that it'd be more like 1 teaspoon of sugar per bottle.

Anyway, you could try keeping them someplace warmer. If they are in a cool place, they will not carb up well even if there is enough priming sugar in them.

I'm still a noob, so take this with a grain of salt.

I think it's possible to transfer from the fermenter and avoid oxidation too perfectly. My first few brews I was extremely careful with my transfer. Sure, I used the right amount of corn sugar and transfered so that the beer coming in swirled with the sugar-water combo, but I transferred slowly to prevent oxidation.

The end result was approximately 12 bottles very well carbed and the entire rest of the batch nearly flat.

Now I transfer a little faster and gently stir the wort after every 6 bottles as I fill. My next two batches have been perfectly carbed with no oxidation.

I think most of the corn sugar I added to prime is still at the bottom of the bottles. I will give them all a good shake and wait a couple more weeks to see if I get any action.

Thanks

Raven

Well you were all right again. My beer did carbonate after about 6 weeks. I did as suggested and shook the bottles to redistribute the sugar/aerate. The yeasties woke up and ate the sugar. My thought is still that perhaps the Danstar yeast does such a good job of dropping out of suspension that there was not the usual amount left behind to start the bottle carbonation process.

Back