no carb after two weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCStoop

Reaction score
So I've got a pretty high grav IPA (about 11% ABV) and a hefeweizen (5.6% ABV) bottled on the same day 2 weeks ago. I used one Brewer's Best carbonation drop per 12 oz. bottle. The first 3 days after bottling, I stored the bottles in my basement. Temps went down around 50F, so I moved them into a pantry upstairs with a temp range of about 66-70F. I tried both brews today, and there is no carbonation to speak of. I can understand that with a high grav beer, that carbonation takes some time, but I expected better from the hefe.

Should I give them more time considering the temps?

Did the low temps during the first 3 days kill my chance at carbonation?

Anyone have any experience/remedies on this?

Cheers!

The yeast might have been slowed by the coolish temps but they're still there.
I'd invert each bottle a couple of times then leave them be for another week before checking again.

Next time you bottle a batch, include one 12 ounce plastic beverage bottle in the mix. As the carbonation level increases that bottle will get harder and eventually be pretty tough to compress.
Then you'll know the batch is ready for the chill phase...

Cheers!

Back