No C02

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishplague

Reaction score
So, I kegged my first stout (also my first kegging attempt). I racked it into the keg closed it up, and put it in the keg to cool before carbonating. Problem is, I had no co2 to purge the air out with, but i did pull the purge valve about 6 times over a 2 day period and some gas came out. I had to go out of town for work, so i never had a chance to get any co2, it's been sitting there in the kegerator for 4 days now, will it be okay? or am I looking at an oxidized nasty stout?

next time if that happens, dont chill it. let it sit at room temperature untill you get CO2. this does two things- it lets the beer finish fermenting completely if it wasnt before, and produces some CO2 to displace the oxygen (which is why some gas came out when you opened the valve). and also chilling it will only cause more oxygen to get into the liquid, as cold liquid absorbs more gas and warm liquid. once you get CO2 hooked up, then purge the headspace as usual.

i wouldnt worry about it too much, but you will know what oxygenation tastes like by its 'wet carboard' flavor.

Thanks, that makes alot of sense. Maybe it will be okay, it is a stout so hopefully it will have enough flavor to mask any oxidation.

Back