No bubbling, I perhaps killed the yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzschlissel

Reaction score
I'm a pretty new brewer, I just did my 3rd brew and and it was also my first by myself. I believe I killed the yeast when I pitched it. I warmed some water up and added the dry yeast to it (it came as part of a Brewers Best ingredient kit). I believe it made it too hot, although I didn't determine its exact temp.

The reason I think it's dead is that it's already been over 3 hours since I've added the yeast and nothing is happening, no bubbling, nothing. Usually by this time I've seen a furious roar. I'm worried I've ruined this batch. Is there something I can do to fix it? Should I wait a bit longer? Should I add another package of yeast and see what happens?

I'm a pretty new brewer, I just did my 3rd brew and and it was also my first by myself. I believe I killed the yeast when I pitched it. I warmed some water up and added the dry yeast to it (it came as part of a Brewers Best ingredient kit). I believe it made it too hot, although I didn't determine its exact temp.

The reason I think it's dead is that it's already been over 3 hours since I've added the yeast and nothing is happening, no bubbling, nothing. Usually by this time I've seen a furious roar. I'm worried I've ruined this batch. Is there something I can do to fix it? Should I wait a bit longer? Should I add another package of yeast and see what happens?

3 hours?! Read the sticky at the top of this forum here.

relax, if I had a dollar for every fermentation that went off in 3 hours Id be broke. Give it a day or two. Anyway bubbling doesn't mean much, I had a fermentation where the seal on my bucket wasn't great, never bubbled but it sure did ferment just fine.

No worries your still good yeast can take up to 72 hours before you see results give it roughly 24 hours and it should be roaring away. just remember give it 72 hours if nothing happens after the 72 hour mark repitch a fresh batch of yeast.

It can take at least 12 hours to get going ime. You should always use a thermometer in the water you intend to rehidrate in. It should be 90-105F by manufacturers. but should only be about 10 degrees higher than the temp of the wort you're going to pitch it in to keep from shocking the yeast.

It has been over 3 days since I pitched my yeast and still no signs of fermentation. I'm pretty sure that the yeast is dead. All things being equal and assuming I did everything else right with this brew, would it be ok if I added another packet of dry yeast?

It has been over 3 days since I pitched my yeast and still no signs of fermentation. I'm pretty sure that the yeast is dead. All things being equal and assuming I did everything else right with this brew, would it be ok if I added another packet of dry yeast?

yes.

Have you taken a gravity reading?

I just cracked open the bucket to add another packet of yeast...It seems to have been fermenting after all. It's all a brown bubbly crusty sort of froth. I've never used a bucket before so seeing the brew only from the the top view was different for me. (previously had a glass carboy, so I'm used to seeing the layers and actually witness the fermentation process.) It looks like what I've seen termed as "krausen." Also as I write it has begun to visibly ferment as seen in my bubbling airlock. Why did it take my opening the bucket to demonstrate these signs? From what I've described do you think this brew will be turn out (well)? Thoughts and comments please and thank you.

jzschlissel said:
I just cracked open the bucket to add another packet of yeast...It seems to have been fermenting after all. It's all a brown bubbly crusty sort of froth. I've never used a bucket before so seeing the brew only from the the top view was different for me. (previously had a glass carboy, so I'm used to seeing the layers and actually witness the fermentation process.) It looks like what I've seen termed as "krausen." Also as I write it has begun to visibly ferment as seen in my bubbling airlock. Why did it take my opening the bucket to demonstrate these signs? From what I've described do you think this brew will be turn out (well)? Thoughts and comments please and thank you.

You probably had an air seal problem that you fixed by opening and reclosing your bucket.

It has been awhile since I have used dry yeast. I rarely have problems when I use liquid yeast in a good starter.

Airlock's are the single most over-rated piece of equipment in the home brewery. Mike in AK probably has the right answer. But please bear in mind that there is only ONE way to determine if fermentation is taking place: changes in specific gravity.

Back