No bubbles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blaine

Reaction score
I have just reused my PET bottles for the first time. Washed and sterilized well but for some reason my latest brew is flat as a tac! Why ? It tastes fine ....Just flat.
Could it be because I didn't allow my bottles to completely dry after sterilization?

Has anyone got any thoughts on Carbonation drops vs. a measursed scoop of Dextrose?
I think drops are much cleaner and leave no residue but maybe the drops lack the kick of raw dextrose!?

Any thoughts?

I was disappointed with the Cooper's drops, but then again I was disappointed that I had to bottle. Haven't tried the others.

Blaine, you don't say how long since you bottled. Ive used carb drops a number of times into Pet bots useage getting towards 14 times. Did change the caps tho.
one other thing is you say washed and sterilized did you make sure that you also rinsed afterwards

Yes .They have been in the bottles abot 3 weeks. I rinsed them well after sterilizing but didnt allow them to dry after rinsing.

There should be residue (yeast) in the bottom of the bottles even with the drops. If there isn't any, then.... hmm... I don't know... did you use bleach to sanitize with? You sure you put the drops in? ;)

It takes two of the drops for the larger size bottles.

I can't imagine not drying the bottles having anything to do with it. Mine weren't bone dry when I used Coopers drops in PET bottles, and they turned out fine.

Iam no expert on this, but u might try emptying out half a bottle and just prime with a teaspoon of sugar. If here is any yeast lurking about u should see some activity in the bottle and then decide maybe to reprime and recap. I don't have any special time to use new caps just sort of "I'll put new ones on this batch" attitude. lets know how u go

I've gotten 4-5 uses out of PET caps with no problems so far, just need to make sure they're on good and tight (of course I know you did.) Sometimes bottles won't carbonate if they are too cold. Put one on top of the fridge for a couple days. If it works, warm the entire batch to room temp (assuming the are at cellar temp) for a little while.

the first time i reused pet bottles my "helpful" swmbo put the caps in the dishwasher to "help" me.
on checking them, about 25% had shrunken or missing seals
did you check the seals?

Well if fermentation didn't happen, either there were:

1) No fermentables in the bottles
2) No live yeast
3) There were both, but conditions prevented the reaction.

You said you put in the drops, so option 1 is ruled out.

Option 2 is a possibility. How long was your batch in its secondary fermenter before you bottled it? If it sat for a very long time the suspended yeast count will decrease and drop to the bottom. Usually there will still be some yeast, but if you have very little yeast left in your batch and then added it to bottles without giving it a good shake to oxygenate the water, you could have a very long priming time that you haven't hit yet.

Option 3 is also possible, based on what you said about not letting the bottles completely dry after washing them. I'm not sure what kind of cleanser you used, but if there was some left in the bottles (i.e. film on the inside of the bottles), this could mess with your yeast and possibly kill them or retard the priming action. Also, the PET could have pitting in it that is storing residues of whatever was inside it, including cleanser. I have never used the PET bottles, and I hear this isn't likely, but who knows?

You may want to open a bottle, get some fresh air inside, shake it up, and recap it and put it back on the shelf for another two weeks. Sometimes a good oxygenation and shake up can restart sluggish yeast.

If that doesn't work, keg it.

Gordolordo said:
Usually there will still be some yeast, but if you have very little yeast left in your batch and then added it to bottles without giving it a good shake to oxygenate the water, you could have a very long priming time that you haven't hit yet.
Respectfully, you definately do not want to give your fermented wort any kind of shake at bottling time...oxygen at this point is a bad thing.

Back