No bubbles in the airlock...is this an issue?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeginnerBrewer

Reaction score
Seemingly I've followed all the instructions to my home brew kit including sanitising everything, following quantities and the order to this method.
I'm a student and although it being May, the house isn't the warmest of places(!) so had to wrap it in a few blankets to keep it snug. Its only been a couple of hours, but I haven't seen any bubbles in the airlock, though I can slightly press on the lid and it does bubble for a few seconds. The seal on the lid seems tight, as I should expect, as its relatively new.

Not sure if I should be worried about no bubbles or not? The other crucial thing is, think the yeast was about 2 years old, will that affect it...? Any help I can get would be fantastic, thanks!

Seemingly I've followed all the instructions to my home brew kit including sanitising everything, following quantities and the order to this method.
I'm a student and although it being May, the house isn't the warmest of places(!) so had to wrap it in a few blankets to keep it snug. Its only been a couple of hours, but I haven't seen any bubbles in the airlock, though I can slightly press on the lid and it does bubble for a few seconds. The seal on the lid seems tight, as I should expect, as its relatively new.

Not sure if I should be worried about no bubbles or not? The other crucial thing is, think the yeast was about 2 years old, will that affect it...? Any help I can get would be fantastic, thanks!

First, read some of the stickies at the top of the page. They will provide a TON more information than any kit instructions can hope to.

You really don't need to start worrying about it not fermenting until there is no evidence of fermentation for 72 hours. Airlock activity does not define fermentation; often a batch will ferment completely without any bubbling at all because the lid isn't air tight, which isn't a problem, but means you can't just go by the air lock.

What kind of yeast was it? Liquid or dry? Was the expiration date 2 years ago? If not, when was the expiration date? At this point, it is probably best to wait a while before even considering re-pitching yeast, unless you had a vial of wet yeast sitting out for 2 years at room temperature that you used...

What temperature is the actual wort in the fermenter? As long as that is in the range of the yeast you are using, it should be fine.

liquid yeast? I agree with Kharnyb, wait at least 24hrs. If it was dry yeast, no worries, if it was liquid yeast, keep an eye on it, that's a long time to have liquid yeast. I always build starters for liquid yeast...

A couple hours is all? I usually don't get any activity in the airlock for at least a day. Sounds like you already have some.

I wish I could keep my house cool like you. I can't because we have an infant here. Your beer is better fermenting cooler anyway IMHO.

the house isn't the warmest of places(!) so had to wrap it in a few blankets to keep it snug.

I wouldn't wrap the fermenter in a blanket, the heat of fermentation once it gets started will likely raise the temp to high. How cool is your house? Cool is better than warm FWIW....

If the yeast was 2 years expired, it may be worth getting a pack of dry yeast and adding that asap....

It was dry yeast, and weirdly couldn't see an expiry date, though I know it was bought around January 2013, and I've read they can keep for 2 years. So it may be a few months out of date if we go from there...

Sounds like I'm being a bit over-eager to see some activity!

However, just in case, how would I go about pitching some more yeast if I don't see bubbles after a few days? Will the new yeast react with the original yeast I put in? What will it do to the taste? I've heard opening the lid may cause an infection! Really don't want that to happen, any ideas how to reduce this threat?

Thanks guys, this is much appreciated!

Sounds like I'm being a bit over-eager to see some activity!

Um yea....way over eager, about 24-36 hours over eager :)

You could pitch a fresh pack of the same yeast, therefore same flavor. Or just pitch any neutral yeast. Sometimes the best thing to do is nothing :mug:

Next time use fresh yeast, this batch will most likely start withing 24-36 hours.

Thought I'd update you all and let you know that its started bubbling...success!! Thanks for all the help guys, you were great :rockin:

OK great, don't let it get to warm....mid sixties actual beer temp., NOT room temp. If the room is 60 that's ok, the beer will generate a bit of heat during fermentation.

Back