No brews on Tap at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yankeehillbrewer

Reaction score
So I was in Southern California this weekend, and I had the good fortune of being treated to a Dinner at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. When I asked the Waiter what he had on tap I was amazed when he said "nothing", then he proceeded to name off nothing but BMC's for what he had in Bottles. Though they did have Guinness. This particular restaurant was in Del Mar. I was just really surprised that this pretty high class Restaurant that is the middle of a Brewing Mecca had nothing to offer on Tap, and not a single thing from a local brewery. I wasn't upset or anything, just really surprised.

However the dinner was absolutely awesome. I had the Barbecued Shrimp that was just killer. The other funny thing was that there was 6 of us at the table and no one ordered a steak. I found that a touch amusing.

Anyhow just thought I'd share that with y'all:mug:

So I was in Southern California this weekend, and I had the good fortune of being treated to a Dinner at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. When I asked the Waiter what he had on tap I was amazed when he said "nothing", then he proceeded to name off nothing but BMC's for what he had in Bottles. Though they did have Guinness. This particular restaurant was in Del Mar. I was just really surprised that this pretty high class Restaurant that is the middle of a Brewing Mecca had nothing to offer on Tap, and not a single thing from a local brewery. I wasn't upset or anything, just really surprised.

However the dinner was absolutely awesome. I had the Barbecued Shrimp that was just killer. The other funny thing was that there was 6 of us at the table and no one ordered a steak. I found that a touch amusing.

Anyhow just thought I'd share that with y'all:mug:

In my opinoin be glad you did, ruth chris has terrible disappointing steaks that are over priced. I've been to two different ruth chris in two different cities and found both to be underwhelming at best.

ruth chris has terrible disappointing steaks that are over priced. I've been to two different ruth chris in two different cities and found both to be underwhelming at best.

Hmmm... I've only been to one in my life out in OH on a business trip, but I had to say it was pretty damn good. I find it didn't quite match the quality of a Morton's or other top tier steakhouse (even though the price was the same), but I certainly wouldn't turn it away. So IMO, a bit overpriced, but still delicious!

As for the beer, I think the other poster is probably correct - they're likely driving you to the wine list or hard liquor...

BMC distributors are in bed with the corporations that own these types of restaurants - so they have BMC focused tap lists.

For another good example, see the Buffalo Wild Wings "draft list." With the exception of sam adams, its a shrine to BMC.

That really doesn't surprise me much. First of all, it's a chain. Unless it's a brewpub, they tend to be very BMC focused when it comes to beer. Second of all, they probably expect people to buy wine or cocktails rather than beer since it's supposed to be high class. Beer kinda goes against that image.

You guys make some good points. I didn't think of the chain aspect of things and the control that the BMC's have. Make's me dislike BMC even more.

Latest posts

Back