No boil beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewingTravisty

Reaction score
Have any of you ever done a no boil "raw" beer? I've read a bit about it and it looks interesting. I'm going to try one soon, but I just wanted to hear some of your experiences first.

Thanks! That was an interesting read. I was thinking of doing a saison style, with Brett. I also have a failed blonde that I accidentally added to much sugar to and so it fermented to 12% and is still on the sweet side (also added raspberries and apples) that I'm thinking of souring just for S&G's to see if it improves in. At the moment its not that great. At least last time I tasted it. It's sat in secondary for several months.

Funny you posted this today since I did my first today- original beer was a Vienna lager and then I did third running of 1.030 wort, no boil 5 gallons and tossed in ecy bug county. We shall see how it turns out

Og was 1.050. It was a recipe I found based on a modelo clone, but there seems to be little variation between a lot of Vienna recipes. I'll give an update on the sour in 6 months or so.

Og was 1.050. It was a recipe I found based on a modelo clone, but there seems to be little variation between a lot of Vienna recipes. I'll give an update on the sour in 6 months or so.

Sounds good! I'll be doing mine next weekend and hopefully be ready by June, if so I'll update you then lol

I recently did a no boil 100% wheat,pre-soured with probiotics for 12 hours,as I only wanted a hint of sour.
Then fermented warm with Belle Saison/Blackman A4 mix.
After that I dry hopped with 2oz of galaxy in an 8 litre batch.

Early on it was wierd,but peaked after about 4 weeks in the bottle.

I recently did a no boil 100% wheat,pre-soured with probiotics for 12 hours,as I only wanted a hint of sour.
Then fermented warm with Belle Saison/Blackman A4 mix.
After that I dry hopped with 2oz of galaxy in an 8 litre batch.

Early on it was wierd,but peaked after about 4 weeks in the bottle.

How sour did it get? I guess on a scale of 1-10 where 1 is slightly tart and 10 is permanent mouth pucker xD

Hmmmm,I am not the best person to ask. I would have said 3.
But I asked a friend and my in-laws,who drank plenty of it and they said 6.

Hmmmm,I am not the best person to ask. I would have said 3.
But I asked a friend and my in-laws,who drank plenty of it and they said 6.

Do they normally drink sour beers? It's kinda like hoppy beers, if you don't normally drink it then you'll say it's really hoppy/sour while someone who drinks them more often will say it's average or not very hoppy/sour.

Exactly!
My in-laws do not.
My friend,however,does,but likes tart as opposed to sour.
If I did it again,I would leave it for 24 hours(I live in Thailand and the lacto will work faster in our warm/hot climate) before pitching yeast.

Exactly!
My in-laws do not.
My friend,however,does,but likes tart as opposed to sour.
If I did it again,I would leave it for 24 hours(I live in Thailand and the lacto will work faster in our warm/hot climate) before pitching yeast.

That's awesome! I may be moving to Thailand for a bit within the next year. I prefer tart more than sour too. I like sour, but I like it to be more crisp and refreshing rather than feel like I just drank lemon juice.

I'll warn that this is a recipe that is very process driven. I chatted with the head brewer of a well-regarded craft brewery that brewed a batch based on my technique but ended up having to dump the beer as a DMS bomb. I suspect the result of the longer time the wort spends in the DMS danger-zone on a commercial system (between whirlpooling and waiting to run the whole batch through the heat exchanger). Seems like you might want to loop back into the kettle if you use a plate chiller to get the whole thing chilled quickly.

I'll warn that this is a recipe that is very process driven. I chatted with the head brewer of a well-regarded craft brewery that brewed a batch based on my technique but ended up having to dump the beer as a DMS bomb. I suspect the result of the longer time the wort spends in the DMS danger-zone on a commercial system (between whirlpooling and waiting to run the whole batch through the heat exchanger). Seems like you might want to loop back into the kettle if you use a plate chiller to get the whole thing chilled quickly.

I was just looking at this article a bit ago! And DMS has been my main worry with the no boil because I have no quick cooling methods. In fact I usually pour straight into the fermenter and seal it up to pitch the next morning.

@Brewing Travisty , will be good to have amother brewer,even if only for a while. We are few and far between over here.
Do you know where in Thailand you will be?

@Brewing Travisty , will be good to have amother brewer,even if only for a while. We are few and far between over here.
Do you know where in Thailand you will be?

Not sure yet, depends on who hires me lol wherever I'm at though I'll be traveling all over the country. I'm starting a travel channel on YouTube, while I'm working abroad so I'll be traveling around for that. Got any recommendations?

Yeah.
Go to a few places that people seem to neglect,like Prachuapkhirikhan(just south of Hua Hin) and Naratiwaht on the Malay border(gulf of Thailand side).

I was just looking at this article a bit ago! And DMS has been my main worry with the no boil because I have no quick cooling methods. In fact I usually pour straight into the fermenter and seal it up to pitch the next morning.

It would worry me too. You could always try it and if you taste DMS before pitching, boil for 20 minutes and allow to cool naturally again. My understanding is DMS volatizes pretty quickly once it is formed.

Yeah.
Go to a few places that people seem to neglect,like Prachuapkhirikhan(just south of Hua Hin) and Naratiwaht on the Malay border(gulf of Thailand side).

Thanks! I'll definitely check those out. I really want to do my travel videos about places off the tourist trap beaten track. I mean, you can find videos everywhere about popular tourist areas. I want to actually see the culture, try weird foods and see beautiful scenery that doesn't have crowds of chubby Americans with point and shoot cameras all over it lol.

It would worry me too. You could always try it and if you taste DMS before pitching, boil for 20 minutes and allow to cool naturally again. My understanding is DMS volatizes pretty quickly once it is formed.

That's a good idea! I'll give that a try, I'm hoping it works out. It seems like a lot of people have done things like this so I imagine that it's not as huge of a concern as I think it is.

As far as DMS goes I've been reading that DMS doesn't form until 180°f so it shouldn't be a problem with a normal mash and mash out.

I've done well over 10 no boil beers and they all turned out fine. I mash, spage, bring up to a boil, cut off the flame and let the beer chill over night before pitching lacto the next morning. They all had pilsner malt. They're cloudy as all get out but I've never had any off flavors.

I've done well over 10 no boil beers and they all turned out fine. I mash, spage, bring up to a boil, cut off the flame and let the beer chill over night before pitching lacto the next morning. They all had pilsner malt. They're cloudy as all get out but I've never had any off flavors.

And you've never had any DMS issues by bringing it up to a boil and having the pilsner malts?

And you've never had any DMS issues by bringing it up to a boil and having the pilsner malts?

Not one time. I don't chill it either. I just let it come down on it's own every night. I know it goes against the textbooks but they turn out awesome. Took a bunch to a bottle share at the LHBS I work at last night and were well received.

Can there still be issues with DMS on no boil beers with "modern" pilsner malts? I have repeatedly read that the longer boil times (90 instead of 6 minutes) suggested for driving off DMS are no longer required with newer Pils. Could the same be said about no boil at all? Or there would be significantly lower levels of DMS anyways.

Can there still be issues with DMS on no boil beers with "modern" pilsner malts? I have repeatedly read that the longer boil times (90 instead of 6 minutes) suggested for driving off DMS are no longer required with newer Pils. Could the same be said about no boil at all? Or there would be significantly lower levels of DMS anyways.

I can't speak from experience, but from what I've read DMS doesn't form until about 180°f. So I guess if you do a no boil you just have to decide which you'd rather risk, DMS or unwanted bugs. It sounds like Chefchris has had pretty good experience with bringing to a short boil so I'm thinking that DMS isn't as big of a problem as people think.

Personally I'm probably going to do fully no boil, I'll mash and sparge and do a mash hop. It'll be a few months before I can update on how it turns out, to give the Brett time to develop.

I can't speak from experience, but from what I've read DMS doesn't form until about 180°f. So I guess if you do a no boil you just have to decide which you'd rather risk, DMS or unwanted bugs. It sounds like Chefchris has had pretty good experience with bringing to a short boil so I'm thinking that DMS isn't as big of a problem as people think.

Personally I'm probably going to do fully no boil, I'll mash and sparge and do a mash hop. It'll be a few months before I can update on how it turns out, to give the Brett time to develop.

It has a chance of getting pretty funky if you don't bring up to temp after the sparge. I would try really hard to keep oxygen out if you go with this method.

It has a chance of getting pretty funky if you don't bring up to temp after the sparge. I would try really hard to keep oxygen out if you go with this method.

I'll probably take your advice then. Since you've done it so many times. I just wanna make sure it turns out good, I'm hoping to do it this weekend. I was gonna try to do it this past weekend but forgot how much I had going on lol hopefully next weekend is more relaxed.

My no boil I brewed a week ago, I pitched with ecy bug county and the krausen came and went within a day. A pellicle has formed and I guess we will see. I think the og was only around 1.030 since it was third runnings from a Vienna lager. Not sure if it will turn out well enough to drink straight or if I will end up using this as a blend to a couple other Sours I have in the pipeline

Back