No aroma Centennial?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krovitz

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers,

Just brewed up an ipa over the weekend. I had some 2012 centennial in the freezer that I ordered from label peelers. They were factory sealed hop union ozs. When I opened them up, there was almost no aroma. It wasn't cheesy, just barely any smell at all. I also had some Simcoe from the same order that smelled terrific. I've never used centennial before. Is this normal? Has anyone had similar issues? Thanks.

Were they still freezer temperature when you smelled them? That would knock down on the aroma. I like to take a couple of pellets or cones, rub them between my hands to crush and warm them up, then do a smell test that way.

I had moved them to the fridge for a few hours before using them. I still got a couple ozs so ill try warming some leaves up next time. Thanks for the advice. It was really weird to not get that big hop aroma opening a new bag.

Back