NO apple taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendit

Reaction score
I also have the problem of not having much apple taste, I am making my first 1 gal batch (home pressed) I added 1 lb. of table sugar. It has fermented about 10 days and seems to have stopped, tasted it and it seemed bland. I read that you can add concentrate to increase flavor, but I am wondering if I add a concentrate, will it raise the ABV to a level that will kill the yeast? If that happens, will I be able to carbonate when I bottle? I like a high ABV but I also want a good flavor.

One option would be to let it finish, then kill the yeast (campden or potassium sorbate), and back sweeten with concentrate/juice/cider. But if you want to carb it, then I don't know... maybe you could prime with concentrate? Someone that carbs theirs would probably know better.

Lately I've been reading about using temp to stop fermentation. Certain strains of yeast are easier to stop this way than others. Read up on it, or maybe someone here knows more. Then you could cold crash, bottle, leave at fermenting temp for a few days to carbonate, then cold crash again (and start drinking so you finish it all before the explosions begin!).

Welcome to Cider making ! :D I personally never really think it tastes like apples. Kind of in the same way that Wine tastes nothing like grapes, well to me at least. I get a ton of other flavors going on but not grape. Same thing with Cider. Last years batch tasted like a hint of Wintergreen, believe it or not.

You can try what Adolphus mentions for getting an Apple taste in there, but it is probably going to take a lot more than you think. If you can find some kind of Apple concentrate that would be the route to go...

Personally, what I would do, is make sure it has finished out and then if you want it 'sparkling' just prime with corn sugar and let it age for about 4 months at least. Then the flavor should be finished out.

It is very very green yet, especially in terms of Apple Cider.

LouT said:
Lately I've been reading about using temp to stop fermentation. Certain strains of yeast are easier to stop this way than others. Read up on it, or maybe someone here knows more. Then you could cold crash, bottle, leave at fermenting temp for a few days to carbonate, then cold crash again (and start drinking so you finish it all before the explosions begin!).

I really wouldn't go with this method. You want the yeast DEAD, not dormant.
I've heard that some brewers will cheat using these fizzy tablets- they'll ferment out till their brew is dry and still, pitch one of these fizzy tabs into a beer bottle and cap it. The tab will dissolve and the drink will be fizzy.
anyone heard of these who knows more about these?

What I am doing tonight (had a batch dry too far out for a party this weekend) Dropped a few campden tab's in a 5 gal batch and tonight I'm throwing in a can of apple concentrate. I'm kegging, so that won't help you bottle carb, but the flavor will be fixed.

zoebisch01 said:
Welcome to Cider making ! :D I personally never really think it tastes like apples. Kind of in the same way that Wine tastes nothing like grapes, well to me at least. I get a ton of other flavors going on but not grape. Same thing with Cider. Last years batch tasted like a hint of Wintergreen, believe it or not.

Beer tastes nothing like wort for that matter.

I'd add to the OP that table sugar doesn't help your cause. Use dextrose next time if you want to bump the gravity.

Maybe you could prime with concentrate. Since 1 can of concentrate makes 2 quarts, 2 cans should make your 1 gallon taste almost as strong as apple juice. I don't know how much sugar that would add for carbing though, it might make bottle bombs. Most people that want stronger apple flavor have tried to put the concentrate in at the start and adding less corn sugar.

Another thing that comes to mind is using an apple extract.

wendit said:
I also have the problem of not having much apple taste, I am making my first 1 gal batch (home pressed) I added 1 lb. of table sugar. It has fermented about 10 days and seems to have stopped, tasted it and it seemed bland. I read that you can add concentrate to increase flavor, but I am wondering if I add a concentrate, will it raise the ABV to a level that will kill the yeast? If that happens, will I be able to carbonate when I bottle? I like a high ABV but I also want a good flavor.

1lb of sugar to 1gallon of juice you're going for that 10+ abv% I see.

Cider takes longer to ferment (and certainly age) then beer. 10 days is a start, but I'd let it sit for 3 and 4 weeks. Let it clear, then try tasting it again. You're going for bottles (not kegging) so if you add concentrate, youll have to use sorbistat k (potassium sorbate) prior to shut down the yeast. Then add your concentrate to sweeten and add back the apple taste. At this point, you cannot carbonate UNLESS you are kegging. So it's a cache 22 for bottle makers. Still cider is quite good however imo.

Using Sorbistat k prior to concentrate will not effect your ABV. Otherwise yes, it will eat up the concentrate and add ABV with little flavor added.

As mentioned, next time do the same. But use 1lb of Corn Sugar (Dextrose). It has a much cleaner taste over table sugar (Sucrose). Sorbistate k, try 1 can of concentrate in your 1 gallon, if not enough, try 2. bottle it. You want carbonation? omit the sorbistat and just prime at bottling. Adding splenda or lactose to sweeten if desired. Nothing to be done for adding "apple" taste at this point, I know of.

I am going to use Schmitz's advice, I am getting a bubble about twice a minute, so I am going to rack it and when it clears I will taste and maybe add some concentrate for flavor and forget about carbonating for this round.

Back