No airlock with my starter kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashbyp

Reaction score
Hi -

Have just bought a starter kit from beertech.co.uk - to get me going. They sent their own instructions with how to make up the first batch using a Pilsner Kit.

They have supplied the fermenting bucket, but no airlock. The instructions say that I should leave the fermenting bucket lid "a third open" during fermentation, to prevent explosions.

I'll follow their instructions this time (I have also been reading up on John Palmer, so I'll be doing things differently next time :) ).

But does it seem odd to you guys? Leaving the bucket open could lead to the beer getting contaminated, couldn't it?

Many thanks for any advice.

I certainly share your concern for contamination... I would use either a blow tube for a high gravity batch with alot of pressure, or an air lock. I think you increase your odds of infection greatly by following this advice.

Are you close enough to your homebrew shop to stop by and pick up an airlock? They certainly are cheap enough.

Nope - the gave me a single bucket with a fitted tap - but it does not have a hole in the lid for the airlock.

This was the kit: http://www.beertech.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=450

I am going to just wing it and follow their instructions, and then before I do the next batch I'll get another bucket for fermenting, complete with hole for airlock, and use the one they gave me as a bottling bucket.

beertech are a reputable company, so I think it's very odd their instructions advocate leaving the lid partly open....

If you are going to leave the lid open a little at least put a sanitzed towel or rag over the opening. It will prevent bad things from falling into the fermentor.

Something smells fishy, and its not SWMBO. I say you drill a hole in the lid and get yourself an airlock. It seems (expecially if you have animals) that fur and other crap in the air will get in the fermenter.

cglkaptc said:
I say you drill a hole in the lid and get yourself an airlock. It seems (expecially if you have animals) that fur and other crap in the air will get in the fermenter.

I agree....pop a hole in it, get a small rubber grommet to line the hole and install and airlock...

Back