No Airlock Activity???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greyhound002

Reaction score
Now I understand airlock activity is no sure sign of fermentation but after 72hrs of being in the fermenter I've not had any activity at all.

The bucket is sealed tight. When I press lightly on the lid, the cap inside the airlock will move up and down. So I have CO2 in the bucket, but no bubbling. The airlock is also 3/4 filled with sanitizer, over filled by a bit. 1391034355121.jpg There are some dissolved gases in the water but I've not seen it bubble.

This is my first go without a kit and just really cautious. I have a 5gal fermenter but only made a 3gal batch. I also used Danstar Munich yeast, pitched it at 75F, and its fermenting at 65F. The packet said it'd be done in about 4 days but I plan on leaving it alone for 14.

Should I break the seal and take a reading or leave it alone for another week and change? Any ideas, tips, pointers or otherwise would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

- Cody

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Home Brew mobile app

Attachments

• 1391034446483.jpg
    1391034446483.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 238
I wouldn't worry about airlock activity. I never see bubbles and when I press the lid I can hear it escaping and then I see bubbles. I'd wait a few more days then open up the lid to see if you see a ring of krausen.

The only way to know for sure is to take a gravity measurement. I would recommend leaving it alone, but if you are cautious about sanitation, you can grab a SG measurement without hurting anything. Especially when you are knew to things, checking in on it is half the fun.

If there is only 3 gallons in a 5-6.5 gallon bucket there is a lot of head space to fill before you see activity in the airlock, if overly concerned there is no harm opening and taking a peak to check for krausen:)

I was figuring the big head space would reduce the bubbling. Anyone ever have any sanitation or oxygen problems when opening the top of a ferm bucket? I just don't want to let any wilds or excess oxygen in...still so green at this, I am as I said overly cautious. It's like a newborn baby!

Assuming fermentation has started and co2 is pushing out it will prevent any nasties from getting in, just practice proper sanitation and you'll be fine

Using a bucket with that much head space like above is probly the case. Take a peek and see whats going on. Can I ask why you used such a big bucket for a small brew?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

I tried cheaping out lol made a cheap one using supplies from my hardware store and eBay finds for $10 or so. And I only had enough ingredients to make a 3gal batch at the time. Rushed it a bit. Will that CO2 head space replace itself or will it damage anything taking the top off this early?

No, take a peak but a reading now isn't really necessary.

If you see krausen formed (foamy stuff) then cover it up and let it be for 10 days.

Then.... Take a reading and it should be done. Taste your sample and if you don't detect any thing off, let it clear for several days( cold crash if you want) then package it.

I would not go long with that much head space. Once fermentation completes there is very little co2 blanket that remains and too much head space can invite oxidation if left too long

I agree with duboman. Kinfa of a sticky situation. Dont check too often (every day) but as soon as its done get it in the bottles or keg asap. As for rushing it let this be a lesson. Dont waste all your time brewing just to get it done. theres so much beer to brew :D

I will be investing in a glass carboy more than likely. I just don't trust what I can't see lol it'd be one thing if I could see the Krausen. But with opaque plastic I have no idea what's goin on. I'm gonna pop the top and see. Hopefully I don't ruin the batch. Geronimoooooo!!!

Welp. Now I'm wishing I hadn't popped the top. The krausen was very well developed. Such a thing of beauty! Thank goodness I had 2gal of head space, it wasn't more than a few inches from the top.

I will say it gave off a very wheaty, almost woody/musty smell. To be fair its a honey wheat, but oofta that was strong. I spose it'll be longer now that I popped the top, but with a little luck hopefully I didn't ruin it. Thanks all!

Shoot I'm too late. Was gonna go +1 with leaving the lid on. Sounded like you were starting to build up a decent CO2 layer on top of that extra head space. Should be okay though. Leave it alone and enjoy the ride.

Is the smell natural to wheat beers? Or Munich yeast? I'm not really worried, being the low ferment temp and isolated location. Not really worried about infection, just didn't want any oxygen in there. Live and learn.

Nah man you didnt ruin it. Beer is pretty hard to ruin unless theres a sanitation issue. RDWHAHB. or 2 haha. But really dont worry to much about your brews. I know there your babys but sometimes you have to just let them do their thing.

+1 on the flashlight idea. I'll be doing that in the future. I've attached a pic. Just kickin back a few high lifes (no home brew yet) and prayin the Beer Gods have mercy on me...

1391051679830.jpg

Back