No airlock activity after 48 hrs.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arborman

Reaction score
So, its been two days since I pitched two vials of WL Cal Ale yeast to my Northern Brewer Dead Ringer IPA Extract kit. This is only my fourth batch done (all within the past 3 weeks), so I am completely new to this.

I am pretty sure I did everything right.. I pitched at about 63 or so degrees, with TWO vials of yeast. One thing I did that I dont think was right was really shake up the yeast vials to get it all mixed up... but I think I shook it too long, cuz when I opened them it was like opening up a can of soda... But, all went into the beer.

Now, on my last 3 batches, I had airlock activity within 8 hrs on the first two, and 24 with the 3rd. The first two where in glass carboys, and the third was in a bucket with a very well sealed lid ( had a rubber gasket inside).

This batch was done in a bucket also, but no gasket in lid. Now, I am seeing plenty of krausen staining on the top of the lid, so I am thinking things are going as planned? I also rigged a blow off hose onto this one, but I am not seeing ANY bubbles coming up at all.

The temp on the bucket is also still low, at around 64. Does it sound like things are going fine, but the bucket seal is not tight so I am not getting bubbling in the blowoff bucket?

Thanks guys, for the replies....

Just after I typed this, things went off! Got blow off coming thru the hose, and its bubbling like crazy in the blow off bucket. Making some crazy splashes also! Timing was so impeccable

Back