No activity in bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hedley

Reaction score
Hi Brewers,

I have just tried to get some grape wine on the go (see my other thread 'First time grape wine') I pitched the yeast last night at around 7pm but this morning at 7am there was not the usual sign of activity in the bucket.

A couple of things may have happened:

- I did not wait a full 24 hours for the Campden to dissipate. I probably waited 21 hours.

- The yeast nutrient was a year out of date.

I am thinking of waiting another day, then adding some more yeast and new nutrient if there is still no activity. Is it okay if I add a different type of yeast, e.g. All purpose where Burgundy was used originally?

Could anything else help?

Kind regards,

Ross

It can often take as long as 72 hrs for visible signs of fermentation. Did you pitch dry yeast? Did you rehydrate according to the instructions? What's the ambient temp?
Regards, GF.

Thanks GF,

That is interesting to know. It's the first time I've not seen activity within 12 hours, but it is the first time I've done grape wine so I will leave it another couple of days. (I worry a bit that the juice would go off just being left without yeast activity - but that may be unfounded).

Yes the yeast was dry. The instructions are just to sprinkle on, wait 15 mins and stir. I've never heard about re hydrating yeast. I just use the Young's 5g sachets.

It's autumn here in the UK so temp was probably around 15 degrees.

If I did need to add more yeast and nutrient in a few days, would the fact I have already added yeast and gone-off nutrient impair the flavour?

Kind regards,

Ross

Thanks GF,

That is interesting to know. It's the first time I've not seen activity within 12 hours, but it is the first time I've done grape wine so I will leave it another couple of days. (I worry a bit that the juice would go off just being left without yeast activity - but that may be unfounded).

Yes the yeast was dry. The instructions are just to sprinkle on, wait 15 mins and stir. I've never heard about re hydrating yeast. I just use the Young's 5g sachets.

It's autumn here in the UK so temp was probably around 15 degrees.

If I did need to add more yeast and nutrient in a few days, would the fact I have already added yeast and gone-off nutrient impair the flavour?

Kind regards,

Ross

I would move the wine to a warmer location and give it a couple more days to kick off. Look for a location that is 20C-23C. Continue to stir it daily to discourage mold formation on the surface.

Back