No activity after adding Orval dregs into secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donovanneb

Reaction score
First time using Orval dregs. I did a step starter that yielded a nice fat layer of Orval dregs from 3 bottles.

I did primary with WLP 510 and WLP 530, then blended in secondary with WLP 515 that I had in a split batch just to top off, 5% at most, but mainly the 510/530. Added the starter Orval dregs and I have had no activity in the first 10 days in secondary.

Question is should I get some activity, some bubbles from the Orval dregs or is it going to do its thing regardless of showing anything in secondary.

Thanks

It will do its thing. I wouldn't expect to see much, if any, activity. If you had good attenuation from initial pitching then you will probably only drop a few points from there. Let the dregs do there thing and enjoy it. How long do you plan on letting it sit in secondary? What style were you brewing? Dubbel, Tripel?

The starter probably mostly gave you more 510 than anything else, and 510 already did its thing. Brett's effect cannot be measured in mere gravity points alone. Just let it do its funky thing, and ignore it while it does so. Brett is slow, so you won't see many bubbles.

Agreed- I just bottled my first Brett secondary brew, which was done with Rayon Vert dregs. No visible activity for 2 months, but a sample taste showed that it had been working.

Thanks for all the feedback this is perfect!

The style was Belgian Pale Ale. I tried to do it as closely from what I researched on the internet to the recipe. I mainly do split batches and I really wanted to try the WLP 515 Antwerp strain with the other split.

I'm planning on aging it for 2 months and I'll try it then. There's a competition I would like to try and enter it in May, but not sure I'll have enough time with 2 months aging and another month of bottle conditioning. I think that will be a stretch, but I'll age the rest I don't bottle for maybe a few more months on top of that.

Back