No activity after ~48h

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theredviper

Reaction score
I brewed a batch almost 48 hours ago and so far there is no activity in the fermenter (a corny keg with a blowoff tube in my case). I've brewed maybe 25 batches and never had a problem. I always proof my dry yeast to make sure it's going and did that as well without issue.

Normally I see activity within about 12 hours, and its very active in the 24-48h window. It's a pale ale, sitting at 22C.

Should I proof and pitch more yeast? Wait? I don't understand what could have happened to this yeast.

One issue I have had when fermenting in a keg is that the lid does not always seal. Since air can escape around the lid you don't get much activity in the blowoff tube or airlock. I would Spray some starsan or similar on the lid and look closely for evidence of a leak.

Since leaks are always a possibility, bubbles tell you nothing. I've had airlocks and blow off tubes sit doing nothing. No bubbles whatsoever. However when I got my eyes real close to the beer in the fermenter and gave them time to focus I could see all kinds of action going on.

Best way to tell if your beer is fermenting is to take a hydrometer sample and measure the SG. You can use a refractometer too, but they are more expensive and when a real SG reading is needed then they come into question. However they are good for relative readings and only require a drop for a sample.

I'll always say bubbles only have entertainment value during the ferment.

Some starsan did reveal a leak, which I expected. So I guess something is happening. The experience is just so different (slow) than what I'm used to. Who knows why, but I guess all is good.

I do have a refractometer so I'll take a sample and again in a few more days.

As usual, advice to "relax and have a homebrew" is the way to go.

Back