Nitrogen Gassed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rferguson61

Reaction score
So im reading the Homebrewer's Answer Book right now and on page 40 they are discussing using nitrogen as opposed to co2. It sounds like its only for stouts. Is this true? Also, it says that it makes a thicker head...but does it change the taste at all? In either direction...better or worse tasting?

I have only seen it used on stouts. Yes, it will dramatically change the taste. Nitro is creamy with little aroma qualities, Co2 is bubbly with high aroma qualities.

A prime way to see this difference is to find a beer that is offered both ways. One brand that comes to mind is Young's Double Chocolate stout. Cans are nitro and bottles are CO2, SWMBO likes the cans and I prefer the bottles...

I have only seen it used on stouts. Yes, it will dramatically change the taste. Nitro is creamy with little aroma qualities, Co2 is bubbly with high aroma qualities.

A prime way to see this difference is to find a beer that is offered both ways. One brand that comes to mind is Young's Double Chocolate stout. Cans are nitro and bottles are CO2, SWMBO likes the cans and I prefer the bottles...

Good beer but I wasn't aware of the nitrogen in cans. I will have to try this test myself

One of our local bars had Boulder's Mojo IPA on nitro not too long ago. It was interesting, almost a creamy taste. I didn't hate it, but I can't say I would seek it out over Co2.

Davidson brothers in glens falls, ny had a scottish wee heavy on nitro and I thought it was great

Some English bitters are served on N2. It sort of replicates the effect of using a hand pump with a sparkler. Tetley's and Boddington's come to mind. I've even had an Old Speckled Hen on draft N2 once, but I don't know if that's standard practice or just something that pub did.

The local brew pub has their brown ale on nitro. Interesting mouthfeel w/ it. I would agree with a previous poster about there being little aromatic. I didn't think this was the reason but every beer I've had on nitro has had little to no aromatic qualities. I thought it was the style of beer but the same style on CO2 has had remarkable difference in the nose.

There are ales from the UK that are on nitrogen too... Not just Guinness (although it could be the more popular brew on nitrogen)... If you have a decent brew source in your area, check to see what they offer in pint cans (for UK based brews)... Chances are, they are packaged with nitrogen widgets. Pick up some and try them...

I'm planning on hunting down some Speckled Hen soon (might be able to do it today actually)... Just want to try it out, since I've heard some good things about it... Plus, it's included in one of the clone recipe books I have... Once I try the original, I can decide if I'll make it myself, and if I'll change it at all.

Another option you could consider is getting a creamer faucet... You could get a similar result from that. I've not used one, or seen one in use yet, but the concept is similar (from my understanding of it)... I do plan on getting one when I start kegging. Of course, I also plan on having a stout tap too. :D

Back