nitrogen carbon dioxide mix

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonypr24

Reaction score
So i just went to a local company that sells all kinds of different types of gasses and I asked for beer gas..the guy came out with a CO2 tank so i told him no i already have that i need beer gas is a mix of nitrogent and C02 so he asked me what i was trying to do so i told him i need if for a Guiness i made and i wanted to get the pour that all draft Guiness get and he told me that nitrogen would not do it, so me thinking he did not know what he was talking about i asked him again for the mix and he gave me a tank that says daft blend Carbon dioxide\NOS and at the bottom it says Nitrogen \ Carbon dioxide..so hooked it up and he was right i am not getting the famouse Guiness pour..its looks just like a regular draft beer...what am i doing wrong..did i get the wrong mix?

are you running an actual stout faucet with a restrictor plate?

because THAT is what's needed to make the beer gas work its magic.

Yeah i have the stout faucet made for Guiness with the 4 hole plate

There is normally two blends of "beer gas". One is %75 CO2 %25 Nitrogen (could also be 70/30). Then there is something like %70 Nitrogen %30 CO2 (This is sometimes referred to as Guiness gas)

I have a feeling you got the standard beer gas blend and thats why you are not getting the expected results.

i tried at 35psi then 20 then 15 all the way down to 5 and all of the it was just like CO2.

does your stout faucet have the little white plastic "flow straightener" after the restrictor plate? without it all you get is foam. If stout faucet is complete and you are using stout beer gas usually 75%N2 25%co2 it is very forgiving. The 2 blends of beer gas are usually 75%n2 25%co2(stout gas) and 60%co2 and 40%n2(beer gas for very long non stout beer line runs)

I was looking at the label on the tank and it says (compressed gas NOS 2.2 - nitrogen, carbon dioxide. When I look up compressed gas NOS 2.2 it tells me that is a blend of 75% nitrogen and 25% CO2. I also check to see if I had the white plastic flow in my stout and everything is there..I must be doing something wrong

Did you carb it up on normal CO2 and then switch to push it?
From what I have read the most peoples procedure is; Carb with CO2 to correct volumes, switch to beer gas, set at ~ 20-30PSI, dispense through a stout tap.

Yeah I carb for 5 days before switching to nitrogen...the only thing I am thinking the problem might be is that I am using a CO2 regulator with a converter to plug in to nitrogen tank..maybe the problem is that the co2 regulator is not using all the preasure as a nitrogent regulator would

I doubt it's the regulator, if it couldn't handle the pressure, it would just leak. if it isn't leaking the output guage on the regulator should be fairly accurate.

It sounds like your co2 level in the beer is too high.

I know some people recommend force carbing with just co2 to save money, however I always force carbonate with the same gas I am going to push with at the same pressure, and at the same temperature I will be serving at. I let it force carb for at least 2 weeks.

There is an interesting article here that you may find useful:

http://***********/stories/wizard/article/section/121-mr-wizard/1186-nitro-beers-a-low-carb-beers

Back