Nitro regulator issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppydude77

Reaction score
Hello all keggers! I just started getting into nitro this week and have noticed my regulator keeps showing an increase in pressure. I degas it then set it at 30... 24 hours go by and it’s up to 35. I have degassed it twice. The beer gas tank is in the fridge. Does this cause these issues? I also carbonated this keg for 48 hours at 12 psi with pure co2 before switching to beergas. Thanks community!

How many days since you put the beer gas cylinder in your fridge?

I've never put a regulator inside a fridge so I don't have empirical data to share, but intuitively I would expect there would be some unstable behavior moving a dry gas cylinder and regulator into a fridge or keezer until they have thermally stabilized...

Cheers!

Thanks day_trippr, It’s been 3 days. So I would think it would be stabilized by then. But could just be reading wrong because it is cold. Just odd it keeps going up after lowering it... lol I’ll report back after the weekend and see if it changed.

Yeah, I'd think that's at least a day or two longer than needed to reach thermal equilibrium.
I agree, keep an eye on it and hopefully it stabilizes shortly.
If it doesn't, I suggest taking the cylinder and reg out of the fridge, let it sit at some pressure setting, and see if it ever stabilizes at room temperature...

Cheers!

Turned out there was a leak in where disconnect meets gas line. Soapy water trick didn’t work. Had to dump the tip in water to see it. Had to replace beergas tank again. Now it seems to be stable!

I had a leak when I setup my keg fridge and found it by taking all the lines out and putting into water, I had a dodgy tube in duotight connector. I learnt my lesson the fit together and hope wastes a lot of gas I've noticed now on the forum. Most instructional setup your kegerator videos don't emphasize how important the leak checking is and ways to recheck it. I'm very watchful for issues if the lines all get moved around.

Glad to read the problem is resolved, not surprised it was a leak in the end. I've come across all kinds of leaks (QDs with loose caps, missing/cracked flare washers, manifolds with all kinds of assembly leaks, untightened swivel nuts, nicked O-rings, a regulator PRV with a stem leak, a regulator coupler with an integrated O-ring at the stem (Taprite) that had surface tears, and on and on) with the multiple systems I cobbled together.

I quickly learned to dunk test literally everything that can tolerate dunking :)

Cheers!

Back