Nitro Beers, Other Than Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Hey guys,

What types of beers are good on a nitro setup other than stouts? I don't have anything against stout, but I just got a new nitro setup and want to try something new.

IPAs (i have a black IPA on nitro now), Browns, ESBs, Porters... pretty much anything...although Belgians might get a little weird.

I do have a Scuplin IPA on tap right now. Maybe I'll switch it over and see how it goes.

I would figure an IPA would be strange but don't speak from experience. Typically beers with more malty backbones are better on Nitro. I'm thinking about putting Oktoberfest on nitro for fun.

So did you buy a nitro kit? I have been eye balling the one from Northern Brewer.

I had what I think was a British Brown ale on 'nitro'.
Not to be off-subject, but I just saw a thing yesterday about a coffee house now providing its coffees on nitro.

Left Hand Brewery's Saw Tooth series has a stout, a milk stout, and an American ale, all bottled with nitro. Seems most beer styles will work...

I'd actually like to try an Irish red on nitro!

I had what I think was a British Brown ale on 'nitro'.
Not to be off-subject, but I just saw a thing yesterday about a coffee house now providing its coffees on nitro.

In Minneapolis a couple breweries actually have cold press on nitro and the NB store was playing with it as well. I really liked it, creamy/smooth mouthfeel

This summer I put my house pale ale on nitro. Lost a little hop aroma and bitterness, but it made it dangerously smooth to drink. It was very similar in flavor.

I am well versed in the nitro coffee. I plan on doing it in the very near future. Kegoutlet has a good e-book all about it. You need to use pure nitro though, not beer gas, or it will build up carbonic acid and taste terrible. Using a carb stone in the keg with pure nitro will still get you the cascading head, but none of the bad flavor C02 will produce.

Other than that, I just hooked up my IPA to the nitro system. Still playing around with it, getting it figured out. This is my first time using this setup.

Nitro IPA doesn't work for me. You loose all the carbonation that ignites the aromatics.

I run everything on nitro,
even hard cider.
I've yet to say to myself "Gee i wish this was on CO2 plain instead of beergas."

I had Cold Smoke scotch ale on nitro recently and it was pretty incredible. For me, it seems to work better with darker beers, but I've only had maybe one non-dark beer on nitro.

I bought my nitro setup immediately after having Victory Dirt Wolf on nitro. Incredible! So many other styles are good on nitro too, but I absolutely love IPAs. I don't think the low carbonation hurts in the slightest bit. The creamy texture makes them go down so smooth!

I would not recommend putting an already carbonated beer on nitro without fully decarbing it first or you'll have a lot of foam on your hands.

Left Hand Brewery's Saw Tooth series has a stout, a milk stout, and an American ale, all bottled with nitro. Seems most beer styles will work...

I'd actually like to try an Irish red on nitro!

Yeah I really enjoyed the sawtooth ale on nitro!

IPAs (i have a black IPA on nitro now), Browns, ESBs, Porters... pretty much anything...although Belgians might get a little weird.

it's personal but I never like IPAs on nitro.
Stouts, porters, sure. they need to go down smooth and nitro compliments that. Brown ales, sure.
Anything with a bite - like IPA, is not good IMPO.

I could see that being true. Belgians, triples, and quads might be a bit strange. I've never tried this though.

i thought the same but my buddy put a belgian on nitro and i thought it was great, not in style whatsoever and brought out different flavors but i really enjoyed it. It was something lighter like a blonde or pale, cant remember. which made me second guess it even more since i like BGSA, blondes, etc all highly carbed to accentuate the apple, pear and booze. but it worked well and sorta brought out more of the earthy/spiciness.

otherwise id say any english style would be great.

I've had Oscar Blues Old Chub on nitro draught and in the nitro can. That's pretty darn good. A Brown ale would be good too. Or even a Boddington's style cream ale would be good. I'd think anything dark would be a great candidate for nitro.
I need to get a nitro setup... One day.

I've had cream ales, porters and ESB on nitro.

Here's the ESB.

264672d1426701370-what-you-drinking-now-imageuploadedbyhome-brew1426701369.592897.jpg

I was drinking Sweetwater's Waterkeeper Hefeweizen yesterday, and it was so good a creamy I was thinking that I would want to try it on nitro. I think the nitro creaminess would be really good with those Belgian banana flavors. I think everything could work with nitro

I am well versed in the nitro coffee. I plan on doing it in the very near future. Kegoutlet has a good e-book all about it. You need to use pure nitro though, not beer gas, or it will build up carbonic acid and taste terrible. Using a carb stone in the keg with pure nitro will still get you the cascading head, but none of the bad flavor C02 will produce.

Other than that, I just hooked up my IPA to the nitro system. Still playing around with it, getting it figured out. This is my first time using this setup.

I just read that e-book myself. I'd be really interested in hearing a first hand account of someone trying the nitro coffee for the first time. I've yet to try one but I love coffee and I know nitro would be a perfect delivery for a good brew. I am building a keezer right now, original plans were for 2 5-gal taps, but I've got room for a third if I run a 3gal on the hump. I'm thinking a dedicated nitro coffee tap would be perfect! Keep us posted on how it goes.

I just read that e-book myself. I'd be really interested in hearing a first hand account of someone trying the nitro coffee for the first time. I've yet to try one but I love coffee and I know nitro would be a perfect delivery for a good brew. I am building a keezer right now, original plans were for 2 5-gal taps, but I've got room for a third if I run a 3gal on the hump. I'm thinking a dedicated nitro coffee tap would be perfect! Keep us posted on how it goes.

my lhbs has the nitro cold brewed coffee and it's awesome. They have coffee ice cubes too so it stays extra flavorful. They know what they're doing and their nitro coffee always changes. I love my lhbs :D

From another thread i read on here the coffee people frown upon beergas as they claim that co2 gives coffee an acidic flavor very rapidly.
Some are using straight nitro and claiming that they are getting a `cascade` similar to guinness pours.

From another thread i read on here the coffee people frown upon beergas as they claim that co2 gives coffee an acidic flavor very rapidly.
Some are using straight nitro and claiming that they are getting a `cascade` similar to guinness pours.

Yup. My lhbs uses straight nitro and it looks just like guiness. No acidic like flavors at all.

I've had a Black IPA on nitro before and it was ok but I probably wouldn't have it again. My opinion is that malty beers are much nicer on nitro than hoppy beers.

Latest posts

Back