Ninkasi Believer Double Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenfrog5

Reaction score
My GF and I would love to brew a clone of this beer but we have only made 4 extract batches so far, and I was hoping some of you more experienced folk could help me piece together what little I have found about it.

We just tried a Ninkasi Total Domination IPA which is almost done fermenting and smells great. The only thread I can find for Believer is
http://www.tastybrew.com/forum/thread/148698

But the discussion there 1) suggests it isn't the right hops (but says the type, but not quantity) 2) doesn't leave me with great confidence is the recipe/OP's brewing technique, and 3) is all-grain and I can only do extract (and am not experienced in converting recipes).

Some other Believer thread (without a recipe) mentioned the 'West Coast Double Red' style, so I'd be happy for some specific recipe recommendations there, but would also like to try to work towards a Believer Clone. Could someone help me take the hops mentioned "a summit and centennial combination all the way through straight from bittering to flavor to aromatics" into a hop schedule, and convert the grains to a DME recipe?

Thanks
Aaron

You might try emailing the brewery to see if they'll spill what hops they use. That recipe looks overly complex to me.

Converting recipes isn't too hard with brewing software, just adjust your efficiency, and replace the base malt (pils, pale, wheat, Munich) with an appropriate extract to get the same gravity. You can steep any crystal or dark roasted malts, but other specialty grains really should be mashed (mini-mash is pretty easy).

Resurecting an old thread.

But I agree that tasty brew recipe is WAY too complex. on their website they list what is in it...

Statistics
First Brewed: 2006
Starting Gravity: 1069
Bitterness: 60 IBUs
Alcohol %: 6.9
Malt: 2 Row Pale Malt, Munich Malt, Crystal Malt, Carahell Malt
Hops: Centennial, Summit

so you have your two row, munich, crystal and carahell. just need to figure out the ratios for those.

Here is my attempt at a recipe..

Recipe: Believer Red Ale Clone
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.52 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.98 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.60 gal
Estimated OG: 1.069 SG
Estimated Color: 14.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 55.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 82.8 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs 0.3 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (1.7 SRM) Grain 1 82.4 %
11.8 oz Belgian Cara 8/Caramel Pils (8.0 SRM) Grain 2 5.5 %
9.5 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.4 %
8.9 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.1 %
4.7 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.2 %
2.9 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6 1.3 %
1.17 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 34.9 IBUs
0.88 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 8 11.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 5.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 3.3 IBUs
1.0 pkg English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) [35.49 Yeast 11 -

The Hops are different than what they use, but I don't like the taste of summit.

Latest posts

Back