Nicely toasted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCrane

Reaction score
I've decided to experiment with toasting my own malt. I have toasted small portions (1-2 lbs) of the grain bill previously with decent results. This time I am considering toasting a large portion (perhaps all) of the base malt in order to achieve something that better approximates traditional Scottish malt for use in scottish and scotch ales. My concern is that this procedure (temps >300 F) may denature some/all of the amylases necessary for mashing. I've read Palmer's (how to brew)and Mosher's (radical brewing) chapters on this topic but have not found a conclusive answer in either. Does anyone have experience with this. Is there an effect, and if so can it be countered by a longer/thicker mash?

Unsure. I do know that the only way to get "brown" malt is pretty much to kiln it yourself.

You could probably research the temps at which conversions occur, and scale it back. My gut is that your temps are too high.

My read of the Mosher on base grains is 48 hours @112°F max to dehydrate,

followed by five hours at 176°F for pale malt.

or followed by five hours @230°F for darker malt.

OR darker colors with destroyed enzymes can be kilned at higher temps.

My take anyway.

I don't know the times that are involved, but it seems likely to me (knowing zero biochem) that if the malt is getting that much hotter than the wet-denaturing temperature the enzymes'll probably fall apart anyway.

You could try toasting ~a pound, then running a tiny mash to test for conversion in the toasted malt. I'd be reluctant to do it to a whole grain bill if I was unsure of the results.

Poindexter said:
My read of the Mosher on base grains is 48 hours @112°F max to dehydrate,

followed by five hours at 176°F for pale malt.

or followed by five hours @230°F for darker malt.

OR darker colors with destroyed enzymes can be kilned at higher temps.

My take anyway.

Thanks. I didn't have Mosher handy (loaned it out) so I was going from memory on that and looking at Palmer's numbers. This looks a lot gentler.

Back