Nice price on AL pots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those prices aren't that great. Sorry to disappoint.

Instawares
has them beat thoroughly.

You can get a 40 qt Stainless for far less than even the 32qt Aluminum that was posted on Super Prod.

Don't get me wrong, I like their site, and I love their price on Perlick F/S faucets. Just not kettles.

Cheers!

Edit: Here's an Aluminum 80QT that can be had WITH lid, WITH shipping, for about $111.00

Even better. I wasn't pushing. Just that that place is local to me. Thanks for the link.

No prob! I didn't think you were pushing, just wanted to help out. Instawares is the major win, their prices rock. :)

That looks like a good eBay find, mrbostn, and a good price for a SS kettle. Here are some things to keep in mind:

1) The larger the kettle, the less you will have to worry about boilovers. Most people doing full-volume boils are using 30-32 qt kettles, or 7.5 gal. Preboil volume on a 5 gallon batch is usually about 7.0 gallons, so that puts the wort very close to the top of the kettle. A 9 gallon kettle is a very wise choice because it gives you more head room to assist with keeping the wort from boiling over.

2) If you are using an immersion chiller, then a spigot is not mandatory, but is still helpful in my opinion. Because you will chill the wort first, you can use an Auto-Siphon once cool in order to transfer the wort from the fermenter to the kettle.

3) If you are using a counter-flow chiller, then a spigot is almost mandatory. Siphoning hot wort is a difficult task that leaves you very vulnerable to burns. Being able to drain through a spigot, out into your CFC, will help chilling immensely.

I'm doing both 5-gallon and 10-gallon batches, so I'm shopping for either a 60 qt or an 80 qt brew pot. I haven't made up my mind on SS vs Alum yet. If you have your heart set on 10 gallon batches sometime in your future, you'll want at least a 14 gallon brew pot. But if you're definitely content with 5 gallon batches (which many, many people are!) then I think the eBay kettle is a great deal, cheaper than you would probably find a 9-gallon kettle plus a weldless fitting for.

Excellent...That's what I was looking for, not only if this kettle was a good deal but a bit of background.

Thanks Chriso.

Since this is active, I'm a first timer, and am looking to piece together my equipment for some winter brewing.

Here a 9Gal pot with a spigot on ebay for $~$80 shipped. I'm interested in brewing 5gal batches Using extracts for now. Is a spigot important? Thank you BREWPOT / HLT 9 GALLON HOMEBREW - eBay (item 290257509835 end time Sep-11-08 12:42:08 PDT)

that's the same kettle i bought on ebay. the steel is rather thin but not so thin as to cause problems. even with my burner cranked way up, i've never had scorching issues and the walls aren't so thin as to be prone to dents. for the price, i highly recommend it.

that's the same kettle i bought on ebay. the steel is rather thin but not so thin as to cause problems. even with my burner cranked way up, i've never had scorching issues and the walls aren't so thin as to be prone to dents. for the price, i highly recommend it.

Are these pots bottoms magnetic? I have a nice induction burner I would like to use, and I am looking for a decently priced magnetic SS pot.

Back