Nice Mini Fridge for Fermentation on Sale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmpreiks

Reaction score
Just a heads up that the 4.3 cuft Whirlpool mini fridge (WH43RS2E) at Lowe's is on sale for $130 right now. Regularly $200.

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Whirlpool-4-...-black-stainless-steel-ENERGY-STAR/1000319705

It doesn't have a freezer so it is perfect to do double duty as a fermentation chamber. It fits a 6.5 gal pail above the hump. You will need to use a blow off tube at there is only 3/4" or so above the 19" pail. But it's super nice not to have to modify the door.

The floor is not very deep compared to some though so I don't anticipate it being too useful for kegs. It's about 9 3/8" deep, if you cut off all the door stuff. I don't keg so I don't know what would fit.

20171226_201700_001.jpg

You may find that if you put the fermenter on the bottom of the refrigerator, sitting on about 1 or 1.5" of boards, you can actually fit a much taller unit there.

I have a 4.4 cu ft refrigerator I'm using as a ferm chamber. Because the shelving on the door is offset, I can shift mine to the left, and the door will close without any modifications to it other than removing shelving stuff. The boards on the bottom lift it high enough so the protruding lip on the bottom of the door will clear the fermenter.

I sure wish I had the one above--I'd love to have some more clearance. I'm using a blowoff tube arrangement on mine because of that. See below.

minifridge1.jpg

minifridge2.jpg

I picked up a few of these on an impulse buy and I think there might be a couple of options for using a 6.5 gallon plastic bucket in them.

Option 1: Set the fermenter on the bottom shelf as shown in jmpreiks picture above. I think it would be awfully tight to bend a blow off tube in the space remaining between the top of the bucket and inside top of fridge. You could use a 3/4" ID cpvc street elbow in the lid and attach 3/4" ID tubing for the blow off. Just not sure if the 3/4" ID is wide enough to prevent problems. Pic below.

Option 2: Build a shelf to raise the 6.5 gallon bucket a few inches off the inside bottom since the compressor hump angles towards the back from the bottom up. A few inches off the bottom should allow the bucket to fit with the door closed and allow for a few more inches above the bucket.

Option 3: Use a 7.8 gallon plastic bucket (shorter and slightly wider) like https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N76NL0N/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20.

I've managed to drill a hole through the back of one for electrical and temperature sensor. Picture below with measurements. Be sure to cut the back, carefully remove insulation and make sure you don't hit anything.
IMG_20171227_155245.jpg
IMG_20171227_155202.jpg
IMG_20171227_155013.jpg
IMG_20171227_154959.jpg
IMG_20171227_153835.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You can also drill a hole in the side of the bucket and mount a blow off tube that way if there is no room to bend it at the top.

You can also drill a hole in the side of the bucket and mount a blow off tube that way if there is no room to bend it at the top.
This was a "duh" moment for me after reading your post, Justin. I might over-analyze things (and bears might **** in the woods), and putting a blow-off tube in the side didn't even cross my mind.

This was a "duh" moment for me after reading your post, Justin. I might over-analyze things (and bears might poopy in the woods), and putting a blow-off tube in the side didn't even cross my mind.
.....WTF. I typed "bears might s h i t in the woods" and ends up "bears might poopy in the woods."
Is this my tablet censoring me or the new forums?

Just picked one up myself to use as a meat curing chamber. Any thoughts on safe places to make holes besides what's posted? I remember on some of the old kegerator threads folks had mapped out where all the lines were on the popular models. Guess this one is too new.

Anybody know if you can fit two ball locks in one of these?

Back