Nibs soaked in vodka smell awful

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfinleyui

Reaction score
So I have a milk stout that I want to add some chocolate to. I put 5oz of raw cacao nibs in with enough vodka to cover them into a Mason jar. They've been in there five days and soaked up a lot of the vodka, so I went to add a little more vodka, and smelled it...

And it smells absolutely awful. Is this normal? Is my beer gonna taste like this smells? Cause Umm... No.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Home Brew mobile app

well food for thought: everything you put in there will have an effect on the aroma and flavor. Sometime pour 12 oz of your favorite IPA and put a quarter ounce of bourbon in it. I swear you'll be able to smell and taste it.

So I have a milk stout that I want to add some chocolate to. I put 5oz of raw cacao nibs in with enough vodka to cover them into a Mason jar. They've been in there five days and soaked up a lot of the vodka, so I went to add a little more vodka, and smelled it...

And it smells absolutely awful. Is this normal? Is my beer gonna taste like this smells? Cause Umm... No.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Home Brew mobile app

Odd. I did this, and my nibs smelled amazing. I got vodka residue all over my hands extracting the nib bag from the carboy after 5 days, and my wife thought my hands smelled awesome, even licked some off. :D

Back