Nibbling Mice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cottonwoodks

Reaction score
I had my third round of farmhouse cheddar drying on the counter, just about ready for waxing when I discovered that mice had nibbled on several places on it. What do I do???? I cut off the nibbled places, and the cheese tastes great, but it definitely needs aging. Do I just keep drying it, until the cut off part is dried, and then wax it, or what???

I had my third round of farmhouse cheddar drying on the counter, just about ready for waxing when I discovered that mice had nibbled on several places on it. What do I do???? I cut off the nibbled places, and the cheese tastes great, but it definitely needs aging. Do I just keep drying it, until the cut off part is dried, and then wax it, or what???

Haha. Good story.

I don't trust waxing. I use a vacuum bag system (Foodsaver) to seal the cheese. Might consider brushing with brine solution first, let dry, then bag.

I made a great Jarlsberg (swiss) a few years ago. After aging, I had it on counter for first cut. When I was out of the room, my dog stole it, took it outside (we have a dog door), and fully buried it. I didn't find it til the next day when the sun came up. I hate to say it, but I cleaned it off best I could and still ate much of it.

Haha. Good story.

I don't trust waxing. I use a vacuum bag system (Foodsaver) to seal the cheese. Might consider brushing with brine solution first, let dry, then bag.

I made a great Jarlsberg (swiss) a few years ago. After aging, I had it on counter for first cut. When I was out of the room, my dog stole it, took it outside (we have a dog door), and fully buried it. I didn't find it til the next day when the sun came up. I hate to say it, but I cleaned it off best I could and still ate much of it.
Your story is even better!

I think I just need to start again. It didn't seem right to continue the drying when most of it was already dried, so I cut it in chunks and put it in the feta brine, but that's really kindof weird. Maybe I'll feed it to the dogs.....

Back