NHC Dilemma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StoneHands

Reaction score
I entered 3 beers in the National Homebrew Competition. One advanced. At this point, the bottles I set aside to send off, I've realized have a slight infection due to my bottling technique off the keg. It's not tremendously noticeable, but it's there (slight green apple) it's an Altbier. The keg is still very good. They are infected because another beer I bottled that day, a dunkel, is overwhelmingly apple-y and definitely infected, it's not shining through on the altbier - much.

Here's my dilemma, I'm out of CO2, the keg is ever so slightly flat but passable. I'd like to rebottle (with clean equipment this time....). They really need to go out tomorrow to make the trek across the country, but I don't have time to go get gas, rebottle, pack them up, ship them out, oh, and go to work on time tomorrow too. Should I send the slightly off bottles, or try to rebottle maybe in the next day or so and pay an arm and a leg for overnight shipping so they'll get there Monday (on a beer I don't think will medal).

As you can plainly see I'm really organized and planned ahead for all contingencies here (*sarcasm*).

Yeah, you're right. Bah! I guess I'll get gas sometime tomorrow, rebottle, and ship out Friday where they'll sit in a hot warehouse or truck all weekend. Still bummed about the infection.

If you don't think you'll place then why not send it in anyway? Then you can still get feedback for it and disregard the infection comments. Or be late to work.

Alright, I've about decided to get gas tomorrow, maybe try to drop off late tomorrow night...

Dunerunner, wish I was near you, the shipping charges are about to kill me over here.

Thanks for the feedback.

Ask the shipping clerks about the shipping options. It is probably better to have it sit in a warehouse in Seattle rather than a warehouse in the South.

Good Luck!

Back