NH Rhizome Panic!!! Is it too Early in New England?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhwrecker

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All,
I pre-ordered Rhizomes from Northwest Hops, thinking that I would be getting them sometime in April. I just got the package delivered minutes ago, and I'm at a loss for what to do.

I live on the Mass/NH border, and even though this is one of the mildest winters ever recorded, I can't imagine planting outdoors yet. Can I?

Should I get some pots and a grow light, and set them up indoors? I've never grown hops before, and thought that I'd have another month to get answers before delivery.

Any and all help is appreciated. But, beyond the "panic", WAHOO!!!! I have a bag of future hops!!!!!

Mort, Nashua, NH

yeah they should be fine. my hops from last year are starting to sprout already. I keep watching the 10 day forecast to make sure the temp isn't going to drop below freezing and so far it's not. That's really you're only concern though is making sure we don't have a real hard freeze before your plants have a chance to establish themselves.

Thanks for the quick replies- should I cover them with hay or something else for "insulation", since they're new and not sprouting from last year? Our crocuses are coming up, so the grounds definitely not too cold up here. I'm going to have to review other text to figure out how deep to plant, and what to use for fertilizer/ground prep.

I'd throw some peat moss and mulch over them. that'll insulate a little and also it's just good for them

I'm in a much warmer climate so I'll trust the above posters on whether it's safe to put them in the ground where you are, but if you don't want to plant them yet you can stick them in the fridge until you're ready without any consequence.

Thanks for all the input, and I'll be sure to post my ongoing journey through new hops-parenthood. I'm already thinking about installing rain barrels with automatic watering systems, and what cord to buy for the new trellises. So many projects, so little time. TFAHB (Time for a Homebrew)

Of course, if I put the rhizomes in the same refrigerator that has some hop pellets in the freezer, do you think they'll talk to each other, and decide not to grow?? If they don't produce, will that mean that I uncovered a conspiracy theory?

I keep watching the 10 day forecast to make sure the temp isn't going to drop below freezing and so far it's not.

So funny, I'm glad I'm not the only one closely watching the 10 day forecast!

No need to worry at all. In fact get 'em in now so you can have a head start! It'll be nice getting an extra month or two for them to grow, plus it'll help you get a better harvest. If you do get a freeze, no worries, they will probably be just chilling underground, soaking up nutrients and building a root system. You can put some mulch on top to keep weeds out and warmth in.

I think planting depth is supposed to be 2-4 inches. If you want to figure out if it is best to do vertical or horizontal, it probably doesn't matter that much. I did horizontal but based on my experience with cutting bines and rooting them I would probably plant it vertically if I ever do a rhizome again.

I'm in MA and agree with the previous posters - stick 'em in the ground and they will be fine. If you're worried, cover them with some compost (which is a good idea anyway for the nutrient benefit). I would stick with some sort of dark compost instead of hay. It will soak up more heat from the sun and keep that soil warm longer into the night.

If you plant those rhizomes now and it causes New England to drop into a deep freeze, I will hunt you down! ;)

You could certainly put them in the fridge, wrapped in a damp paper towel stuffed in a zipped tight sandwich bag. A fellow brewer gave me three baby Fuggles rhizomes in late February last year and I stuck them in the fridge and totally forgot about them until I discovered them in late April. I planted them in big pots outside and they not only grew well I eventually got a couple of ounces of dry cones out of them...

Cheers!

I'd rather take responsibility for Global warming and $4/gallon gas, than causing it to get cold in New England! May it only snow on the ski slopes, for ever and ever, amen.

These pups are going in the ground in two days - thanks all again for the support and ideas.

You guys all rock!!!!!!!!:rockin:

Looking forward to any and all updates!
I am just south of you in Chelmsford. I have my Cascade rhizomes pre-ordered through Midwest, so I am trying to figure out my soil/plotting out where these guys are going to grow up in.

Cheers!

Well I've been wondering the same thing. I'm up near Littleton NH and I've been debating if I should wait another week or 2. We still have been getting snow overnight but its melting away each day. 10 day forecast still shows cold nights up here with temps in the mid to low 30's. I hope by next week I can get a clear decision made...

I live in Mass near CT border and my shoots are about a foot long now. It got down to 21 degrees the other night and I thought the shoots will die but they are doing okay.

If you don't want to keep them on the fridge like someone said you can put them in a pot and keep them inside till risk of frost is gone.

When I received my hops rhizomes I stuck them in the fridge sealed in a plastic bag wrapped in a paper bag to keep out light. I didn't plant them for weeks and when I did, all was good. As long as they're in a fridge, are not getting light, and have moisture, they won't die for weeks if not months.

Back