NFL Playoffs + Beer + Good Food = ME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvh261

Reaction score
Anyone else besides me planning on drinking a lot of beer and watching the playoffs all weekend? I'm lucky to have a SWMBO that loves football that will allow this glutony.

The plan is to make a couple of loaves of beer bread. I already bought the spinach/artichoke/parmesan dip (SWMBO is a vegetarian). Bought a nice 2 lb. brick of extra sharp cheddar, a salami, and plenty of Gardetto's snack mix. If we are actually still hungry and require some actual dinner I can always have a Lou Malnati's deep dish pizza delivered.

Got my homebrewed house IPA and a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone good to go, a bunch of other various bottles on hand (Brooklyn Chocolate Stout, Lagunitas Brown Shugga, St. Bernardus Christmas, Southern Tier Tripel, SN Celebration Ale, Dark Horse Crooked Tree IPA, some New Holland stuff I can't remember, etc.) I actually dried out this week other than a few beers on NYE (we kept it low key). Post holiday rehab and gearing up for the weekend....

I suppose I'll need to fit a few morning hours on the eliptical in somewhere to at least attempt a balance....

I love this time of year! I'm ready to get this friday work day over with already...
LET'S GO SEAHAWKS!!!!

My picks:
SEAHAWKS over Skins
JAGUARS over Steelers
BUCS over Giants
CHARGERS over Titans

You got the plan right, but your picks are all wrong :)

I plan on making homemade sausage patties, scrambled chedder chive eggs, getting some spicy jack cheese and fresh bagels and making some great breakfast sammys before the giants game. I also have a great stack of homebrews ready to go in the fridge.

Can't wait to watch the gmen play the bucs, but on saturday it is all about that jaguars vs steelers game. That is gonna be a hard hitting battle.

c.n.budz said:
Golfing in NJ in January? Or is that being played on the 60"HD also?

My local pub just got a bunch of huge plasma TVs so I'll be watching the later games there

My parents live in South NJ which is supposed to hit 52 on Sunday. We're going out early but I've got my Under Armour and my FootJoy Winter Sofs. Anything above 40 is warm enough for me. Much better than the hot humid weather we'll be getting in another 6 months...

Soulive said:
My parents live in South NJ which is supposed to hit 52 on Sunday. We're going out early but I've got my Under Armour and my FootJoy Winter Sofs. Anything above 40 is warm enough for me. Much better than the hot humid weather we'll be getting in another 6 months...

Where are you playing in South Jersey? I grew up in Mount Laurel and used the hit the links in the area.

Lucky bastard, i will be watching my beloved redskins beat the seattle chicken hawks onboard a navy ship on a 27" CRT because i have duty on saturday :( :( :( :(

***Forgot to add that i will be sitting in a steel chair while i watch the game. They are possibly the most uncomfortable chair known to man.

You are not alone..
I'll do this through the Stupor Bowl.
I have 2 friends that are always over for foosball Sundays (I have the big screen, the HD, the wife that cooks and the beer)..

I love this crap.

We'll be feasting on homebrewed beer cheese with homemade bread, pepperoni bread, pale ale and lemoncillo.

Oh, as for my picks..

Seahawks over Skins
Steelers over Jags
Giants over Bucs
Chargers over Titans

My picks:

Skins over Hawks
Jags over Steelers
Bucs over Giants
Chargers over Titans

You don't mess with the Dude on picking playoffs. Didn't I go something like 9-0 2 years ago? Can't remember last year though. ;)

Silly Americans. Why watch a second rate series of games (the real teams play next week) when you could have watched the cricket. Centuries to Symonds, Hayden and Hussey for the baggy greens and by laxman and the great Tendulker for the curry eaters. A win with only a handful of balls left to play, controversial umpiring, even an Indian being cited for racially vilifying an Aussie (that rarely happens - what is going on).

Get with with the program America - cricket rules down under in summer !!!:rockin:

Back to our regularly scheduled programming...

I thought that steelers vs jags game was amazing. And finally I get a giants playoff win after a few years. Feelin good today.

jzal8 said:
Back to our regularly scheduled programming...

I thought that steelers vs jags game was amazing. And finally I get a giants playoff win after a few years. Feelin good today.

For the most part, all the games were good this weekend.

I'm happy to see the G-men do something in the post season, but I just wish it was the Green and White instead :D

I'd really like to see Strahan get a ring.
I do believe they can beat Dallas. They have the D to keep Romo 2nd guessing himself and scrambling.

Next week, Manning and Brady advance, only to have Indy beat the Pats and ESPN's PatriotsCenter can stop talking about Brady :mad:

I know I'm a little late, but these were my pics. No, really! :D

Hawks over Skins
Jags over Steelers
Giants over Bucs
Chargers over Titans

jzal8, your Giants are going down! Again! ;)

Lil' Sparky said:
jzal8, your Giants are going down! Again! ;)

I couldn't believe it this morning when I heard on Sportscenter that this is the first postseason meeting between the Giants and Cowboys ever. That seems unreal to me.

I am going to personally purchase a ticket for every girlfriend Tony Romo has ever had since kindergarten so they can all attend this game and provide a collective jynx.

Well, the only way they could meet in the playoffs is if one wins the division, and the other had a wildcard spot (and possibly won that game). The wildcard has only been around since 1978, and there was only 1/conference until 1990. Since then it's been more likely, but still the odds have been small. This game's not in the bag, though. The G-men have looked really good lately while my 'Boys have looked like crap. Hopefully they'll "get back on the horse" this weekend.

I went 2-2 but the SEAHAWKS won and that is all that matters to me week to week. I was happy to see the Steelers lose as well. No love lost here from SBXL.

I want the upsets all around next weekend. I think all but the Colts are possible. This is going to be NE's toughest matchup. I think Hawks @ Packers is going to be a hell of a game. These teams are similar in strengths. Edge to the Packers but its going to be a fight. The Hawks have more or less sucked on the road this season, but at least it isn't a noon game. If that Hawks D plays the Pack the way they played the Skins its going to be a classic.

GO SEAHAWKS!
GO GIANTS!
GO JAGUARS!
GO CHARGERS!

jvh261 said:
I think all but the Colts are possible.
I think the Chargers are quite capable of beating the Colts. They match up very well. Of course that's just my bias from watching the Chargers beat the Colts home and away last two matchups.

Time to pick this weekend's games.

JAX over NE (someone had to do it, and I think the Jags have the best shot of anyone in the playoffs)
IND over SD
DAL over NYG
GB over SEA

Oh, and for the record... don't let the avatar fool you. I'll be cheering like mad for my Buckeyes, but I expect them to lose tonight. I'm predicting 27-20.

ohiobrewtus said:

JAX over NE (someone had to do it, and I think the Jags have the best shot of anyone in the playoffs)
IND over SD
DAL over NYG
GB over SEA

NE over JAX
IND over SD
NYG over DAL
GB over SEA

Might as well open my big mouth:

SD over IND
DAL over NYG
SEA over GB
NE over JAX - but if the weather sucks bad, JAX over NE

i think cleveland would have had a better, or at least more exciting showing than the oilers... bah... here's to indy losing. :)

Dude said:
You don't mess with the Dude on picking playoffs. Didn't I go something like 9-0 2 years ago? Can't remember last year though. ;)

You certainly showed your prowess in the Pick-'Em League this year, eh? ;)

(I gave up on that thing after a while; after week four, I never spent more than three minutes making my picks for the week).

rdwj said:
That's a pretty impressive .500!

Yeah, that was an awesome display. Shoulda gone with the gut--went with the heart. Not this week!!!!!

GB over Seattle
NE over JAX
Indy over San Diego
Dallas over NYG

the_bird said:
You certainly showed your prowess in the Pick-'Em League this year, eh? ;)

(I gave up on that thing after a while; after week four, I never spent more than three minutes making my picks for the week).

Uh, yeah.

ohiobrewtus said:

NE over Jacksonville
Indy over SD
G-Men over Dallas
GB over Seattle

In all reality, i'd like to see the Jags beat up on the Pats, but I don't see it happening.

Back