Next version of JAOM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bombo80

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I followed the base recipe for JAOM.
The slight changes I made were .....
- peeled the oranges for just the skin, leaving the pith behind.
- removed the pith from around the segments.
- separate and squeeze orange segments.
The rest of the recipe had 125 raisins, 19gr. Cinnamon sticks, 15gr. Nutmeg (whole but cracked), 5 small cloves, 6 allspice.
I added all the spices and oranges to 2 gallons of 105 degree water. Added another gallon of water to bring the temp under 100.
Added 17.5 pounds honey.
Topped up to 5 gallon mark and used a drill stir stick to mix and aerate.
I checked the brix, and it was at 29. Which correlates to 1.124 SG.
I added 2 TBSP Redstar bread yeast and mixed the mead.
I have good activity already 12 hours later.
20220723_074455.jpg

Sounds good. One thing to note on the JAOM recipe, is the extra 1/2 pound of honey is to counter the bitterness from the pith, so, while your bread yeast may ferment to where it normally would go, (1.030ish), but, you may find it will be much sweeter tasting than a JAOM with the pith included.
Last year I made a batch of blood orange melomel, (basically what you did with this batch, a modified JAOM, I zested the fruit, did away with the pith, & peeled the membrane from each individual segment) & it came out perfect (for my liking) because I reduced the honey to 3 lbs/gallon vs 3.5 lbs/ gallon. Had I stuck with the 3.5 lbs/ gallon, the yeast wouldn't have consumed enough of the sugars & it would've been way too sweet. 1.030 with the pith vs 1.030 w/o the pith tastes TOTALLY different. 😲🤔
I hope it turns out great for you. Please keep us posted.
Happy meading 😎

So I may have broken the JAOM laws. But I decided to add another half gallon water to the fermenting mead.
After thinking about what Dan said, I figured it would help somewhat. I also stirred the mead after adding the water too.

Back