Next step

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bamamckay

Reaction score
I have brewed about 15 extract batches and, I was wondering about moving on to the next step. Is there a benefit to going to partial mashes or should I just dive into biab/ all grain?

Dive in. The only reason I can imagine going partial mashes vs full blown all grain is equipment limitations. If your gear is large enough go for it!

+1 to Dan! I spent a year doing partial, and recently did my first AG. Not a waste of time, because i was able to focus on specialty grains to formulate my own recipes, but i could've done all of that with AG. Get or build a decent mash tun and get to crackin! It's so much easier than our minds let us believe!

I did a couple of partial mashes between my extracts and going all grain. The reason I did was that I was in the process of gathering all my all grain equipment.

If you have the equipment for all grain I see no need for partial mash as an intermediate step.

As far as BIAB, that is personal preference. I do 3 gallon BIAB and feel it is a bit of a PITA!. I can't imagine doing a 5 gallon batch much less a larger one.

YMMV.:mug:

I did a couple of partial mashes between my extracts and going all grain. The reason I did was that I was in the process of gathering all my all grain equipment.

If you have the equipment for all grain I see no need for partial mash as an intermediate step.

As far as BIAB, that is personal preference. I do 3 gallon BIAB and feel it is a bit of a PITA!. I can't imagine doing a 5 gallon batch much less a larger one.

YMMV.:mug:

I have to agree, BIAB is a slight PITA (as you put it) I don't have a mash tun so my first two all grain batches were in bags. It's the sparging that is a pain. I have missed my OG on both by an average of.015. I am guessing that is not too bad but squeezing 170 degree bags isn't too fun either

Is there a noticeable difference in the quality of beer b/t extract and partial mashes ?

With the quality extracts available to homebrewers now... I'll prolly continue to do extracts for quite some time. Mostly due to time constraints and a crappy work schedule I have. I have been having great success with extracts and steeping grains for all my beers. I'm still homebrewin' beer. That's all that counts for me. I even have a buddy that is a hardcore all grain brewer and he will drink some of my beers and ask if I've finally switched over to all grain. When I tell him no... he is always suprised. :grin:

But I agree with others... if you have the time and the equipment to support it... go for it!

Gary

Is there a noticeable difference in the quality of beer b/t extract and partial mashes ?

I haven't gotten to try any of my finished all grain yet. I believe my partials tasted better than just extract, but that could be just in my head. for my partials I would mash about 4 pounds of grain.

Back