Next Batch Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandona33

Reaction score
I curently have a similar batch to Apfelwin but I used an Ale yeast. I also have a Hefeweizen (which I will be racking to secondary tomorrow) bubbling away. I read on some cider threads people have liked the outcome from Cider with Hefeweizen yeast.

My question: If after I rack my Hefeweizen to secondary, could I utilize the yeast already in that bucket by dumping my Cider ingredients on the cake at the bottom?

Will it be different than making my cide and pitching Hefeweizen yeast from the vial right onto it? I think I could save some $$$ this way.

Any other info on doing this would be helpful. I've only been brewing for 1 1/2 months and the act of re-using a yeast cake in a fermenter is something I didn't find in any books I bought.
Thank you in advance and for the very helpful info o this site for a noob!!

You could, but realize that the cider will have a bit of a beery taste to it. It would probably taste more like a cyser than a cider....

It would be a really interesting cider...

Thank you for the quick reply.* I may just spend the extra $$$ and go with a fresh yeast from LHBS.* Thanks!

Just a thought....Pull a couple spoonfulls of the used hefe yeast and make a small batch of cider in a 1 gallon glass jug. You might find out you like the taste, and have created something new and unique.... So next time you brew a hefe you can make a 5 gallon batch of this cider.

There's a lot to be said for experimentation...and you'd only be out a gallon of cider....

On my next batch of cider I'm going to use a Hefe yeast I think... sounds like they get great results. Let us know how it works.

Back