Newer corny kegs with ball locks restricting flow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theQ

Reaction score
Here is the brief story.

Midwest tempted me to replace my old corny kegs with newer, shinier corny kegs made in India.

I had a batch served out of these with the same beer line and connectors. No problem.

I started having flow issues with the same setup on the next batch when I pressure pushed wort into them to keg condition. Took me forever to get the wort in. Once I was done I opened the poppets but there were no constriction.

The other thing I did was to clean the ball lock disconnects. Opened the screw and cleaned it up.

Now while on tap I have hard time getting the beer out. There are times where got no flow if I play with the screw on the disconnect I can get the beer flowing but foamy. It makes no sense. If I unscrew it should restrict the flow... Makes no sense.

Any takes?

I’ve never messed with the screw, they are cheap enough in ebay to replace

I did get new ones, still the same.

Chasing down the problem below and including the post. Next thing I'd try is remove the post. Maybe I'd be able to pour a glass the way - fountain style :)

Possible blockages
- post clogged (doubt this as I did check it after I've forced pushed the beer in)
- post spring to tight
- dip tube clogged (will see when I check the post)
- dip tube too close to bottom wall, less probable.

I did get new ones, still the same.

Chasing down the problem below and including the post. Next thing I'd try is remove the post. Maybe I'd be able to pour a glass the way - fountain style :)

Possible blockages
- post clogged (doubt this as I did check it after I've forced pushed the beer in)
- post spring to tight
- dip tube clogged (will see when I check the post)
- dip tube too close to bottom wall, less probable.
Last two are my bet. Likely a clog. Purge the keg and swap a liquid qd onto your gas line. Connect to the liquid post with the PRV open to see if you can blow it out. Then return everything to normal. You'll need to let it settle for a day as that will stir everything up.

I pulled the liquid post out. I pulled the dip stick. I think the stick is a bit too long hence creates a back pressure when I push the un-fermented beer in and would easily clog. (had thick, fine hops at the base of the stick)

Pushing CO2 on via liquid post doesn't work for me, the the gas qd doesn't fit the liquid post.

Last edited:
Just curious. I'm new to kegging and have only racked two carboys to kegs. The first time I didn't have a screen on my racking cane and it clogged the disconnects.
Second time I used a paint strainer bag. I didn't get any clogs but it took an hour to rack 5 gallons. I did have the prv open and after it was complete I cleaned the disconnect and there was no clogs.

I had the carboy on top of my keezer and the keg on the floor. Used CO2 at 1.5 PSI, 3/8" tubing. Does it normally take an hour to rack 5 gallons?

I pulled the liquid post out. I pulled the dip stick. I think the stick is a bit too long hence creates a back pressure when I push the un-fermented beer in and would easily clog. (had thick, fine hops at the base of the stick)

Pushing CO2 on via liquid post doesn't work for me, the the gas qd doesn't fit the liquid post.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. You take you liquid ball lock qd off the beer line and attach it to a co2 line. Then snap the new setup to the liquid post. This allows you to push co2 through the liquid post the easiest.

Personally, I'd only do it of you have MFL(aka threaded) connections for the QDs. Pain in the rear if they are just barbed.

Just curious. I'm new to kegging and have only racked two carboys to kegs. The first time I didn't have a screen on my racking cane and it clogged the disconnects.
Second time I used a paint strainer bag. I didn't get any clogs but it took an hour to rack 5 gallons. I did have the prv open and after it was complete I cleaned the disconnect and there was no clogs.

I had the carboy on top of my keezer and the keg on the floor. Used CO2 at 1.5 PSI, 3/8" tubing. Does it normally take an hour to rack 5 gallons?

Takes me ~5 minutes at 1 psi. I use a spigot rather than a racking cane, but I done think that should matter too much. You're fighting 2 vertical feet, but with 1.5 psi over the surface area of a carboy to 3/8 inch tube there should be plenty of "push".

Do you hover the cane over the cake or do you push to bottom and let a little trub through until it clears an area?

Anecdotal: When I autosiphined with a strainer bag on it (no pressure transfer), it was slower, but not much. At that time I used to hold the cane against the side, just above the cake and tilt for the last bit.

I always place the racking cane above the yeast cake- I don't try not to let any trub get in.
I don't get why it took almost an hour to transfer 5 gallons. Thought maybe 20-30 min at most.

Back