Newcastle Clone and question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troutab81

Reaction score
I have a Newcastle Clone in the primary and really wondering if it would be necessary to rack to a secondary for a week or so past it.

Since it will be very dark, not sure what clearing up would do for it... will it really change the flavor profile by letting it sit in a secondary? Would prefer to go straight to bottle to avoid any contamination, etc..

I do have some extra Williamette hops I can throw in for dry hopping, not sure if I really want that although I love my hoppy beers.

Here's the recipe and open to ideas.

# Grains: 2 oz 60L Crystal Malt
# 2 oz Chocolate Malt
# 1 oz Black Malt

# Extracts: 6.6 LME

# Hops: 1 oz of Fuggles Hops - 60 min
# 1/2 oz Williamette (Flavor) - 15 min

# Yeast: British Ale Yeast - WL005

Secondaries are not necessary.

I only use them in beers that will be sitting for like 6 months or more.

It's dark but you could definitely still see if it was cloudy or not. Even with secondary mine turned out kind of cloudy. It was my first brew, but you will notice if it's clear or not. If you care that's a totally different thing.

So please tell us.. If secondaries are not necessary, but you do use them, at what point is is "necessary"?

:drunk:
merriam-webster said:
Main Entry:
1nec·es·sary Listen to the pronunciation of 1necessary
Pronunciation:
\ˈne-sə-ˌser-ē\
Function:
adjective

1 a: absolutely needed
So what I am saying is that they are not "absolutely essential". They are however recommended for beers which will spend extended time in the fermenter...which is not the case here.

Back