Newby question. Partial Mash Equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1stTimer

Reaction score
I am going to pick up a 5-10 gallon cooler today but what else do I need to convert the cooler? I have to get this brew done this weekend. I've had the grain for a few weeks now. not sure what the shelf life is but it cant be much longer. Thanks for the help everyone.

Hey 1stTimer, one piece of advice I will give you is to locate the stainless steel fender washers first. That piece is not standard stock at your Home Depot/Lowes type stores. I had to go to Fastenal to pick mine up. It wasn't a big deal once I found teh store as they had them in stock and they're cheap. However, it set me back a week because I went to Home Depot to get all my supplies the night before I wanted to brew and they had everything I needed to make the mash tun except for the stainless fender washers.

Another piece of advice: Go with the 10 gallon cooler if you have the space.

Appreciate it JohnyO. Space shouldnt be a problem. I'll make some calls today about the washers.

Ended up finding the washers at the local H Depot. Going to put it all together tonight while enjoying a homebrew. :) Thanks again everyone.

I ended up switching to a steel braid that is used for a washing machine. It never gets crushed.

I also used some zip-ties to bunch the braid together in the middle of my round cooler so it's more like a center manifold and I avoid sidewall channeling.

I just looked at the hose and it says its engineered polymer braid. It claims its more corrosion resistant than Stainless Steel. Is this ok to use?

Back