Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been curious for a while about trying a sweet potato beer (possibly doing something like a pumpkin ale but with sweet potatoes in addition to pumpkin). This would still have grains in it though.

Per your question, yes you could. It would probably taste like alcoholic water though. I don't think you could get enough body from the potatoes especially with the sugar addition.

jro238 said:
I have been curious for a while about trying a sweet potato beer (possibly doing something like a pumpkin ale but with sweet potatoes in addition to pumpkin). This would still have grains in it though. Per your question, yes you could. It would probably taste like alcoholic water though. I don't think you could get enough body from the potatoes especially with the sugar addition.
well thanks going to try it but I'm using a malt extract and hops next time.

Sounds more like the mash they use to make some vodkas. But sweet poptatoes in a beer with spices would be fine. Just sub the sweet potatoes for pumpkin.

unionrdr said:
Sounds more like the mash they use to make some vodkas. But sweet poptatoes in a beer with spices would be fine. Just sub the sweet potatoes for pumpkin.
My wife is already complaining about the smell! I love the smell of yeast myself.

unionrdr said:

My thoughts exactly. I kind of thought that it would taste like watered down vodka with a little potato flavor.

I suppose (like anything else) the key is balance. Adding potatoes to a beer might actually be really good, but JUST potatoes (no malt or hops) I would think would be terrible.

Same goes for pumpkins. Adding a little to a beer can be great, but to ferment only pumpkin and add no hops, spices, or malt would probably not turn out favorably.

freisste said:
My thoughts exactly. I kind of thought that it would taste like watered down vodka with a little potato flavor. I suppose (like anything else) the key is balance. Adding potatoes to a beer might actually be really good, but JUST potatoes (no malt or hops) I would think would be terrible. Same goes for pumpkins. Adding a little to a beer can be great, but to ferment only pumpkin and add no hops, spices, or malt would probably not turn out favorably.
My dad made it when I was a kid , it was better with malt and hops . But not bad plain. My next batch is going to be with a real recipe .

I think this has been covered in some of the links, but just to be clear: we need something with diaststic power or some other source of the enzymes needed to convert the potatoes' starches into sugars, right? Without that, we're just talking about trying to ferment starchy potato water with a little sugar in it, aren't we?

I'm pretty sure sweet potatoes are able to convert themselves without grain, but I've never heard anything about white potatoes.

unionrdr said:
White potatoes are def more starchy & need enzymes from something to convert them to sugars.
I checked my home brew this morning and it is not working as strong , I believe yeast may have been old so I'm going to pitch more yeast.

This might have something to do with my last post - unless you added some enzymes to the potato water to convert the starches to sugars, then there might not be much of anything to ferment, other than the sugar you added. In other words, the yeast might have fermented The added sugar, and, since the yeast can't do anything with the unconverted potato starch, it's done.

JonM said:
This might have something to do with my last post - unless you added some enzymes to the potato water to convert the starches to sugars, then there might not be much of anything to ferment, other than the sugar you added. In other words, the yeast might have fermented The added sugar, and, since the yeast can't do anything with the unconverted potato starch, it's done.
Ok thanks for your advice! I will pitch that in the drain and start over with malt extract and hops ! I want a good pale ale what ingredients do you recommend ?

Or maybe toss in some amilase enzyme to convert the starches. Some moon shiners use that to convert corn meal starches to sugars.

Check out pale ale recipe kits from places like Northern brewer, Austin homebrew supply, midwest, etc. Some have 1-gallon recipe kits if you dont want to do a whole five gallon batch.

JonM said:
Check out pale ale recipe kits from places like Northern brewer, Austin homebrew supply, midwest, etc. Some have 1-gallon recipe kits if you dont want to do a whole five gallon batch.
Thanks Jon I will see !

unionrdr said:
Or maybe toss in some amilase enzyme to convert the starches. Some moon shiners use that to convert corn meal starches to sugars.
Thanks union dr I may try that if I knew what amilase is I guess it's a spice ?

Amalase is the enzyme (found in grain) which breaks down starches into sugar. Normally, this happens in the mash. Since you didn't mash, you would add it to your brew to break down the starches from the potatoes. I think I heard this is what makes beano (the fart reducer) work. Not sure about that. At any rate, I'm sure your LHBS sells it, or any of the online homebrew retailers.

Potato beer, huh? I hope you and your fellow inmates enjoy it. :cross:

Seriously, sounds interesting. How did you prepare the potatoes? Did you boil them and collect the runnings? Did you take a gravity reading?

MaxStout said:
Potato beer, huh? I hope you and your fellow inmates enjoy it. :cross: Seriously, sounds interesting. How did you prepare the potatoes? Did you boil them and collect the runnings? Did you take a gravity reading?
No to both I'm just trying something my dad did when I was a youngster Lol!!

garvinator70 said:
No to both I'm just trying something my dad did when I was a youngster Lol!!

image-280929588.jpg

Guys I threw out my potato water and went and got the real stuff ! I was going to try my first brew but I dropped my hydrometer and it shattered . So I will have to wait until 1:00 o'clock tomorrow for another one ! Any suggestions ? Pure malt extract 3.3 lbs Czechs Saaz 1 oz. hop pellets 11 .5 grams dry ale yeast.

unionrdr said:
You're gunna need more than 3.3lbs of that extract for 5 gallons. Might be light even for 3G.
They said that would make 2 1/2 gallons, I dropped my hydrometer . I can get another one tomorrow at 1:00 can I still brew tonight and take the gravity reading tommorow ? I threw out the tater water !:)

MaxStout said:
Another 3.3lb. container of that Pilsen light extract and you should be good to go. Don't forget to add to the broken hydrometer thread, and join the masses who have done that. :mad:
and it didn't take long to break it . When I go get my Hydrometer tomorrow I may buy another 3.3 lbs is that enough hops and yeast for 5 gal. ?

Back