Newbie with a question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muddelicious

Reaction score
I've been making queso fresco and all the recipes i've seen say after the curd has set check for a clean break but my cheese is allready in curd chunks and often sinks. It never forms that surface that you are supposed to cut in chunks. Basically I combine the milk, buttermilk, vinegar then heat to 90F, add rennet (and add lipase powder at about 80F) then let sit for 45 minutes at which point it is in small (not tiny like ricotta) chunks. It tastes great and I have no complaints I was just wondering if anyone knew why it did that.

Thanks

I am not sure, but the Vinegar and Rennet may be redundant as both are coagulants. Vinegar is typically used in many fresh, fast cheeses.

This is a fairly good recipe:

http://fiascofarm.com/dairy/quesofresco.htm

Actually, it is the Vinegar I believe that may be causing the curd to separate like that.

Btw....Welcome to the forums :D

for the welcome and the answer. I think you may be right. When I was looking for recipes i came across some that involved vinegar and no rennet and some (like the one you suggested) that called for rennet and no vinegar. Then there was the one I've been doing with both. I think i really like the fact that I dont have to cut it up and it turns out great, makes it easier to keep crumbly. But I may try it without the vinegar too. Thanks again.:D

Back