Quantcast

Newbie with a few questions...

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

BeerGeek4ND

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to Home brewing and recently started my first session using the BB Irish Stout kit. After doing research I've already found a few answers but I have one that I can't seem to get a straight answer.

Background info, I'm not racking to a secondary, reading that it's not necessary especially on a stout. But I would like to add a pint of vanilla infused whiskey to half the batch. My main question is it alright to simply add the whiskey to the last half of the batch in the bottling process? Basically starting with the full amount of priming sugar needed for 5 gallons, bottle half then add the whiskey and bottle the last part. Am I going to run into issues with over carb, and potential bottle bombs? Or will it be alright?

And if this won't work is there any issues with simply rack half the batch to a secondary, when bottling the other half? Basically I measure out the amount of priming sugar for 2.5 gallons. Transfer the first half the batch to a secondary, without sugar, add whiskey. Seal back up and let it sit for another week or so. Then go back and bottle the other half using only 2.5 gallons amount of priming sugar for it. Then later do that same process when bottling the whiskey infused stout later.

Hopefully this all makes sense. Any insight is very appreciated and welcome. Thanks. :mug:

BrewMasta

Reaction score
I have never added a whiskey addition to the secondary, but if I were to split the batch as you are describing, I would do as you said in your 3rd paragraph, which was to rack half the batch to the bottling bucket with the correct amount of priming sugar for 2.5 gal, and then bottle, while the second half of the batch could stay in the primary if you want and add your whiskey it would be ok, or you could rack it to the secondary, add the whiskey there and give it a couple more weeks. Hope this helps.

WoodlandBrew

Reaction score
1 pint in 2.5 gallons is only a 5% difference in volume. I wouldn't sweat it. Prime as for 5 gallons. Bottle half. Add the pint of vanilla. Bottle the rest.

You might want to add only a cup taste it to see where you are at flavor wise.

I would let it age in the bottles just to make things easier. I wouldn't expect it to make a huge flavor difference either way.

thadius856

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
It makes sense.

If I understand your question, you're asking if you can bottle half directly from primary, then add the whiskey to the second half, and continue bottling from primary. Is this correct?

If so, the answer is that's not the best idea. I'd recommend racking the whole thing less cake and trub to a bottling bucket, stirring gently with a sanitized spoon or ladle, then bottling the first half. Add whiskey, then bottle second half.

OP
B

BeerGeek4ND

Reaction score
It makes sense.

If I understand your question, you're asking if you can bottle half directly from primary, then add the whiskey to the second half, and continue bottling from primary. Is this correct?

If so, the answer is that's not the best idea. I'd recommend racking the whole thing less cake and trub to a bottling bucket, stirring gently with a sanitized spoon or ladle, then bottling the first half. Add whiskey, then bottle second half.
Basically what I was trying to say. I am planning racking to a bottling bucket. So I didn't mean to make it sound like I was bottling directly from the primary. So I can completely understand. I can rack to bottling bucket add priming sugar solution that is for 5 gallon amount. Bottle the first half then add whiskey and bottle the second half. Correct? Thanks again.

thadius856

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Correct. If your vanilla whiskey has a high sugar content, it may throw off your carbonation level ever so slightly, but probably not enough to worry about.

Welcome to HBT btw. :)