Newbie to electric brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shemp

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm about to go electric and am confused on my 240v power supply. I have a 240v outlet that was supposed to be used for a welder that I never purchased. It's being fed by 2 60 amp cb's in my garage subpanel. The building has a concrete floor. I thought this would automatically be gfci since it's on the ground and concrete. Is that wrong? Maybe only if it's a kitchen?? I don't see a test button on the breakers.

Thanks

I'm about to go electric and am confused on my 240v power supply. I have a 240v outlet that was supposed to be used for a welder that I never purchased. It's being fed by 2 60 amp cb's in my garage subpanel. The building has a concrete floor. I thought this would automatically be gfci since it's on the ground and concrete. Is that wrong? Maybe only if it's a kitchen?? I don't see a test button on the breakers.

Thanks
If there is no "Test" button, then they are not GFCI breakers. You will need to change the breakers or use a spa panel in front of your control panel.

Current code requires GFCI protection for outdoor and garage outlets (in addition to kitchens and bathrooms.)

Brew on :mug:

It will probably not be GFCI for a welder, definitely not if it doesn't have a test. You could add a spa panel inline.

I had the shop (actually a hangar) built 3 years ago. Wonder if I can go back to the electrician for some retro since it should be gfci

Avoid "should"
I'm sure the guy was doing good work for a fair price-
Jot down the brand and amperage and head down to the local big box store for a replacement GFI breaker- the work is simple to do. But if you are unsure in any way- call the guy and have him do the swap.
With 60amps x 2 you can flash fry a buffalo in two minutes

I found it cheaper to buy a spa panel and take the breaker out it and put it in my panel. Single Eaton 50a gcfi breaker at Box store $99. Eaton Spa panel with the identical 50a breaker inside of it $54. I'm not sure how that works but it does.

Back